Mugo Pine Chicago Area

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello,

Does anyone know of a good place to get mugo pines in the chicago area?

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where about in Detroit I lived in Michigan and go that way!

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
BC Bonsai and Hidden Gardens are the only 2 bonsai specific nurseries I can think of. There's also Chalet on the northside which I've noticed is starting to have a few items marketed towards the enthusiast/dabbler... I've purchased and killed many mugos from Home Depot and Loews.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
BC Bonsai and Hidden Gardens are the only 2 bonsai specific nurseries I can think of. There's also Chalet on the northside which I've noticed is starting to have a few items marketed towards the enthusiast/dabbler... I've purchased and killed many mugos from Home Depot and Loews.
Any advice on how not to kill them?

What did you do that was the main issues?

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Or if anyone knows a good place for JBP in the area

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is your experience in bonsai and/or caring for trees or plants in general? If brand new, maybe consider starting with other plants that are easier than pines. Or just get some cheap nursery material that won’t be too saddening if you kill them. This is just if you’re new! There are also places online that sell seedlings and young JBP if you don’t mind starting them young and forming them. All depends on your skill level and goals. Best of luck!

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have junipers, azaleas, lilacs, and am trying bougainvillea and want to try a mugo this year. I think I will be able to keep it going. I have been doing a good amount of reading on them. Just was wondering if anyone knew of a place locally to try out some nursery stock.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In my area I have never been to a garden center that did not have mugo.
Yes I do see a lot of Mugo Mops or the dwarf variety I am looking for just a standard Mugo. I guess as garden centers get trees in I will see if they have standard and not the dwarf varieties. Thanks for the help @penumbra @smjmsy00 @sorce @rollwithak

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or if anyone knows a good place for JBP in the area

You'll end up making 6 great mugos before 1 good jbp up here, after you factor in all the time and energy wasted on carting a JBP around and pampering it.

I'm convinced JBp can live here so long as it has like an even month of steady cooling weather to build proper antifreeze. As you know that happens here about 3 or 4 years, then we get a frost in October with Snow on Halloween.

Mugos middle finger that shit.

I mention Detroit, because if @Vance Wood has any available that have been basketed for a while, they'll provide better starting material regardless of top.

It would also make the drive, and wait, worth it.

Their show is good to take in too. August.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce I am cracking up I did prefer mugo over black anyway so that is good to hear. Crazy I just reached out to him today I was reading some of his posts on mugos!

@rollwithak that is awesome I will also check those out! Thank you.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I do see a lot of Mugo Mops or the dwarf variety I am looking for just a standard Mugo. I guess as garden centers get trees in I will see if they have standard and not the dwarf varieties. Thanks for the help @penumbra @smjmsy00 @sorce @rollwithak
From a landscapers view the common mugo is like a poor mans Cadillac. The dwarf varieties are what is desired in the landscape. The common mugo is more likely to show up at big box stores. They can be a challenge because of all the multiple trunks and reverse tapers ensuant. I love them as bonsai though so I just potted up a dozen 5-6 inch liners I bought on eBay. I can guide them more directly toward my intended goal rather than end up with plants that look like octopus.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will check some big box stores this spring, but I may be moving towards the seedling/ just small trees and waiting for a few years. We'll see what shows up this spring! Thanks @penumbra

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Try Gethsemane garden center in Chicago. Got these 2 last week on the clearance rack. They had quite a few.

Attachments

• CAE8E81A-D5EB-4BE0-9E06-C696D22C85DF.jpeg
    CAE8E81A-D5EB-4BE0-9E06-C696D22C85DF.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 20

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I ended up just planting a few hundred seeds so I should have a never ending supply in a few years 😂

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just a hundred or so in this row. Hopefully by next year or so I will be able to sell a few off. I did root pruning to increase lateral roots and will do selective pruning / initial wiring to get some cool movement

Attachments

• 12E5535B-E6C9-478E-B563-364E6FD1AA7C.jpeg
    12E5535B-E6C9-478E-B563-364E6FD1AA7C.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 12

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know im a bit late to the party and necroposting a bit, but there is a pretty decent greenhouse in Rockford. It is where the Rock River Bonsai Society meets. They have a small section devoted to mallsai type trees, and some tools and pots. but, the trees they sell as yard material is often pretty decent, witha nice selection of pines and junipers. im in the far northwest part of the state, and it takes me about an hour and a half to get there. I imagine its about an hour west of the city then.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha! I didn't realize that was you I was sending to Detroit!
Nice.

Sorce

Top Bottom