Mugo Pine conflicting grow zone info.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was an impulse buy at Lowe's because it was just $12. I plan to use it for wiring practice. I meant to say where my "conifer" collection ends, but couldn't edit the post. Obviously a spruce it not a pine. It's a spruce! ;)

Agreed, which is exactly why I said "It's likely I'll plant the seedlings in the ground here on our property and let them grow up for a while." 👍

I've been searching for exactly that type of material, believe me. Every week, I'm glued to the bonsai auction/sales groups on Facebook, and visiting every retailer website I can think of to see if there's anything new available. Like I said before though, I'm a maple guy before anything else. It really put a dent in the pine budget when I spent $350 on a new maple and $200 on a new elm just in the last three weeks. Plus, when I sift through the auction and retailer sites looking for suitable JBP material, I'll see a Zelkova that catches my eye, or a Hornbeam, or a Cryptomeria, or a Cypress, or a...see what I mean? Pines are simply low on my list of material priorities. Not sure if you're a gun guy or not, but it's often said that every gun owner needs to have a 1911 in their collection. It's a timeless classic that's been popular for over 100 years. I have a 1911 that I'm in love with, and I can't imagine not having it now. In similar fashion, I feel like I need to have a quality JBP in my collection because it's the quintessential pine for bonsai, but I guess right now I'm not sure if I actually want a nice pine before I obtain some of these other trees I've mentioned.

I do, yes. This thread has without a doubt cleared that up for me. 😄
Have you looked at Bonsai Learning Center? They’re in NC…I’ve picked up a couple decent JBP from them at the Asheville show, at very fair prices. They have a lot more than they have on their website if you call them or email them.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I hear they're going to have a vendor booth at the Winter Silhouette show this December out by Charlotte. I'll be attending the show, so I'll see what they have.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hear they're going to have a vendor booth at the Winter Silhouette show this December out by Charlotte. I'll be attending the show, so I'll see what they have.
I’m planning to bring my Zelkova to the show. See you there!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m planning to bring my Zelkova to the show. See you there!
I'm going to make one of those "Hello, my name is..." name tags that says AcerAddict on it, and I will be bringing CA$H. :cool:

Top Bottom