Mugo Pine Development

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this very small mugo pine I have been developing for a couple of years now. It has been growing very well in a mix of turface&pine bark 2:1. I was thinking about eliminating alot of the current branching to discourage the bush like growth so typical of container grown mugos. I would keep probably one low sacrifice branch, a possible final branch and the new leader.
I know that any pruning will slow the development but my quandry is if it would be worth it to encourage some upright growth. This is a long term project and I am well aware that it will be several years before I even consider it to be bonsai. I also know that it needs to grow but I want to get as much of a jump as possible on the development of the branches. Any opinions are welcome!

Attachments

• P7220198.JPG
    P7220198.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 118
  • P7220199.JPG
    P7220199.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 94

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From your picture, your Mugo looks like a Cushion variety (low growing).
What species is it, may I ask?
The growth nature of it may dictate what you can do with it.
I look forward to seeing your progress with it.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks happy to have secured such a large domain,will you add companion flowers to add more interest whilst it grows?

Edelweiss perhaps,for a feeling of home.

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I picked it up it wasn't identified as any variety or cultivar, simply 'pinus mugo'. I hope this is the case because many of the named cultivars have a tendency to be touchy as bonsai subjects.

As for companion plantings, I have never had an interest really so I will most likely leave it boring and in development! On the bright side, it won't be the 'ugly duckling' because I have plenty of others in plain ol' grow boxes to keep it company! Thanks for the replies!

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one very similar and mine is the variety of Pinus Mugo called "Valley Cushion," which is a slow growing compact form of Mugo with short needles. It does well in full sun when not to hot, to partial shade (which is where I have mine now because of the extreme heat here in Ojai, CA.) They have been known to be "touchy" but so far mine is doing well after my pruning and repotting.

I've read your other thread about its "big brother," which may be a different species of Mugo.
Only time will tell as they grow out.

Top Bottom