Mugo pine fungus question

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know pine trees (or is it just junipers?) Have a symbiotic relationship with the fungus (microbes?) Within their soil. Picked up a little Mugo and slapped it in a bigger pot. Just wanted to know if this is what is to be expected, or if it's a sick tree. I assume it's normal, but know next to nothing about the species.

Attachments

• 20230609_170544.jpg
    20230609_170544.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 32

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if one can tell if these are beneficial / mycorrhiza. It doesn’t seem to be a harmful fungus as the roots seem to be healthy. I hope you worked the outside of the “rootball” during the repot as this will make for a better transition and gives you the opportunity to straighten some circling roots. just a light loosening is sufficient no need to go beyond half a cm.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There's an 80% chance that this is the good stuff. Mycorrhizae can be territorial and it's unlikely that non beneficial fungi get a good chance in a pine pot. Even if it's not symbiotic, it's breaking down organics into nutrients.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think it's better than 80% chance of good mycorrhiza simply because this is a pine and it is pines that seem to have this special relationship with mycorrhial fungi.
The pic looks like the roots of most of the pines I deal with.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure if one can tell if these are beneficial / mycorrhiza. It doesn’t seem to be a harmful fungus as the roots seem to be healthy. I hope you worked the outside of the “rootball” during the repot as this will make for a better transition and gives you the opportunity to straighten some circling roots. just a light loosening is sufficient no need to go beyond half a cm.

I did. I split the compacted soil and splayed it out a bit and worked the outside enough to loosen stuff up. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: R0b

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it's better than 80% chance of good mycorrhiza simply because this is a pine and it is pines that seem to have this special relationship with mycorrhial fungi.
The pic looks like the roots of most of the pines I deal with.
I assumed it was, the tree looked healthy. It looked like the pictures I've seen, I just couldn't find a direct answer anywhere on Google so, I came to the experts haha.

Top Bottom