Mugo Pine, looking for styling suggestions

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im new to bonsai...this mugo has made the july cut(been trying to do bonsai for about 2 years now. an outdoor plant making it through JUL is a 1st for me...)Since this seems to be a tough bugger I want to make sure I do it justice.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks to have some potential and a nice trunk. Would it be possible to post some better pictures, a little larger and better exposed?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took the liberty of doing the best I can to enlarge and lighten these pics a little.

Will

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the pix fix, Will. It seems that there are three possible upper trunks. I think a lot of people will suggestion using on of the side stems as the main trunk, but my vote is to use the middle one. This will create some nice taper and be a little subtle than the using one of the side trunks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
In this very rough virt I took the first picture above and rotated the tree 120 degrees counter clockwise. I also drew in a quick pot, nothing else was done. Looking at the rotated tree, I see another interesting possibility.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think there is any need to go to that extreme with this nice little mugho. It's hard to tell with only these views, but my suggestion would be to use the "middle" trunk like you said, and keep the lowest one for the first branch for now.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Zappa,

I think you are on the right track with the upright styling of the tree. In my experience, one of the three trunks will need to go to avoid a swelling in the trunk where they meet.

A better picture would help, thanks Will for brightening them up, but the only real way to determine what to do next has to be done in person. If you feel strongly about the styling, then that is probably the best option for the tree.

Make sure it is healthy and strong before you do too much work on it. Try to get a local opinion on what to do and when. You are off to a good start on this tree, keep it up!

Regards,

Martin

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for the feed back. in the future I will make sure I provide better pictures.

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Near Nashville

Zappa,

You need to find some local bonsai events to attend. This may help you "network" with local people. I'll bet there is more bonsai going on around you than you realize.

I would suggest attending something like the Cheekwood Bonsai Show Sept 21-23 in Nashville.

Good luck and keep searching for local resources.

Top Bottom