Mugo pine minimal repot question

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all. I bought a Dwarf Mugo pine from a local nursery about a month ago and just repotted it two and a half or three weeks ago. I know that was a bit late in the year. It was massively pot bound in it’s big plastic container. I removed most of the old potting medium and a large amount of the root mass. It’s been recovering in mostly shade and filtered light until yesterday. I brought him out at 3 PM until it got dark and he seemed to do well with it. But I have a problem, the soil is extremely infested with bugs! I went with Dr. Earth bonsai soil and added in a mild amount of hard Akadama. This was the first time using Dr. Earth but it must have had loads of parasites. When I water very small ants come running out by the bunch, two different kinds of worms too. I tried soaking the soil with properly diluted neem oil concentrate last night but the ants just ran out and the worms wiggled around and looked like they were having a good time... I’ve had success with neem in the past on another one of my bonsai’s. So I have a big question. Would it disturb the tree too much by me repotting it again in a fresh bunch of mostly inorganic soil, and not cutting any root? I just want to take the tree out and wash away as much of this pest filled soil from the rootball as I can and start fresh. Is this doable this time of the year since I won’t be cutting or roughing up the roots this second time around? Please if anyone could share some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your replies. :)

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all. I bought a Dwarf Mugo pine from a local nursery about a month ago and just repotted it two and a half or three weeks ago. I know that was a bit late in the year. It was massively pot bound in it’s big plastic container. I removed most of the old potting medium and a large amount of the root mass. It’s been recovering in mostly shade and filtered light until yesterday. I brought him out at 3 PM until it got dark and he seemed to do well with it. But I have a problem, the soil is extremely infested with bugs! I went with Dr. Earth bonsai soil and added in a mild amount of hard Akadama. This was the first time using Dr. Earth but it must have had loads of parasites. When I water very small ants come running out by the bunch, two different kinds of worms too. I tried soaking the soil with properly diluted neem oil concentrate last night but the ants just ran out and the worms wiggled around and looked like they were having a good time... I’ve had success with neem in the past on another one of my bonsai’s. So I have a big question. Would it disturb the tree too much by me repotting it again in a fresh bunch of mostly inorganic soil, and not cutting any root? I just want to take the tree out and wash away as much of this pest filled soil from the rootball as I can and start fresh. Is this doable this time of the year since I won’t be cutting or roughing up the roots this second time around? Please if anyone could share some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your replies. :)
Pics would help greatly, also please fill in your location and hardiness zone then we can help asap.

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi BunjaeKorea, thanks for replying! I have filled in my location and hardiness zone now. It’s fairly dark still at the moment for good photos. But what pics in specific would you like? Please let me know, thanks.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have issues with ants sometimes, they either build their satellite nests in my pots or they're cultivating aphids on my trees. When I treat against aphids, they usually disappear. Putting the pot on a higher location off the ground, like a couple of bricks, will usually get the ants to move out.
Worms are no issue whatsoever.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A pot stand with a ring of Tanglefoot will put an end to the parade. Try to find one with feet so you can just make 4 little rings around them. Have a look into nematodes as a preventative to all soil dwelling. I recommend the triple threat packs as they ship you 3 different kinds of nematodes for complete coverage. It’s expensive though. I use it on my beds and grass every 3 years in the spring. I have placed two small orders for a oak tree and cherry tree with success.

Bonsai Buddy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the helpful suggestions @Wires_Guy_wires and @KillerButts

My Mugo is actually not on the ground, it’s sitting on a stand on top of an empty jacuzzi with the lid down hehe. :) Which is a good recovery place for my repotted bonsais because there is a thick semi transparent awning over that area that gives them shade and some low levels of filtered light.

I decided to do a very gentle second repot with no new root pruning and a different soil composition. I gave the rootball a low pressure wash to get rid of all the buggy soil and it is now happily potted in about 90 percent inorganics comprised of 4 different things and just about 10 percent aged pine bark as a the fifth and only organic component. So I hope it goes well. I’m using the same mix for a little Hinoki cypress and I must say it’s pretty neat stuff, but you do have to water it twice a day. :)

@KillerButts Thanks for suggesting nematodes, I just treated another almost 6 year old Hinoki cypress (not the one I mentioned earlier) for mites with neem oil. Not sure if it worked but I wonder if the nematodes would be a better pesticide option...

Anyway, thanks for your time and replies everyone. Take care. 🤓

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful suggestions @Wires_Guy_wires and @KillerButts

My Mugo is actually not on the ground, it’s sitting on a stand on top of an empty jacuzzi with the lid down hehe. :) Which is a good recovery place for my repotted bonsais because there is a thick semi transparent awning over that area that gives them shade and some low levels of filtered light.

I decided to do a very gentle second repot with no new root pruning and a different soil composition. I gave the rootball a low pressure wash to get rid of all the buggy soil and it is now happily potted in about 90 percent inorganics comprised of 4 different things and just about 10 percent aged pine bark as a the fifth and only organic component. So I hope it goes well. I’m using the same mix for a little Hinoki cypress and I must say it’s pretty neat stuff, but you do have to water it twice a day. :)

@KillerButts Thanks for suggesting nematodes, I just treated another almost 6 year old Hinoki cypress (not the one I mentioned earlier) for mites with neem oil. Not sure if it worked but I wonder if the nematodes would be a better pesticide option...

Anyway, thanks for your time and replies everyone. Take care.
How did your Hinoki fair after your Neem Oil treatment. I have one that isn't looking great but I want to rule out that Neem oild use wasn't the reason for it's ill health.

Top Bottom