Mugo Pine my first try at wiring

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
I picked up what is claimed to be a Mugo Pine from a local box store, while attempting to obtain cleaning supplies. Brought it home, and got two different identifications from ‘PictureThis’ app, neither of which were Mugo Pine. Took some photos while getting it into it’s pot, and then after wiring. I know the wire is not what I should be using. It was what I was able to find on the shelf where I was able to shop. I am open to any and all suggestions, comments, and critiques. 570C0442-1B47-407B-8FE2-73D991829E76.jpeg
EB24A837-F769-4E2A-8763-B21C451BE931.jpegC3843843-F29C-4482-8D79-737098C8C824.jpeg8E77D878-BBCB-4472-A40A-ADD7871B5FDB.jpeg
I do not know why the images are all sideways here. They were not in this orientation in my camera. Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for any comments !
(KZ)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need to edit the photos with any software and if they open any way but right you make changes and save them. Then they are what you saved from then on.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Windows default picture viewer or whatever it's called does that for you. No need for saving, just open them and rotate, then close.

It might be good to look at Vance's compiled mugo stuff on the resources tab of the forum. I can tell you a whole lot of what I would have done differently, but it's less hostile if you go over it yourself.
The tree might make it though! But for future reference it might be handy to check out that page.

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
There are a lot of different Mugo pines, I had a birds nest that I gave to my mom but have a hard time finding another, most are other types.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK 2 mistakes: Barerooting repot and putting in Bonsai pot before even developing tree. Make it 3: additional stress of wiring it. Tree needs to develop trunk from that skinny pencil thin one you bought. This requires ground or grow box planting and allowing sacrifice branch or branches to grow. Bonsai pot is about LAST thing needed so early on. Now tree is in survival mode. Keep soil damp. Not dry or wet. Hope it makes it🧐. Do NOT repot again now. See if survival ensues this Summer, next Spring. If surviving can be better planted Mid Summer 2021 or Spring 2022.

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
After doing more reading here, and the comments so far, my mistakes are obvious now. If this one survives the winter, It may be a miracle. If not, my next try will be better informed, and have a much better chance of success. I appreciate the honesty here, and will be a better practitioner of bonsai for it.
(KZ)

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
After doing more reading here, and the comments so far, my mistakes are obvious now. If this one survives the winter, It may be a miracle. If not, my next try will be better informed, and have a much better chance of success. I appreciate the honesty here, and will be a better practitioner of bonsai for it.
(KZ)
I have killed many trees and seedlings, now I have hundreds and learn something new every day, it's just part of the hobby, like sailing making mistakes makes you better.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(KZ)
Do note.. the work you have done here is pretty much the same way a friend of mine works his in a well-known bonsai nursery. He would however do this in winter, rather than now. As such, I do not think this is a death sentence per se. And eprsonally, I prefer to take things slower. But young mugo seem to handle these stresses quite well.

Top Bottom