Mugo Pine Needle Plucking

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello, i just purchased a mugo pine from a local garden center. It is in a 3 gallon pot, with very thick
foliage. Is it too late to needle pluck the mugo? I was hoping it wasnt so it could get some sun into the center of the plant this spring. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brad

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, i just purchased a mugo pine from a local garden center. It is in a 3 gallon pot, with very thick
foliage. Is it too late to needle pluck the mugo? I was hoping it wasnt so it could get some sun into the center of the plant this spring. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brad

Yes, needle plucking usually occurs in the fall. I am sure Vance will find you and continue with this thread.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why do you want to needle pluck? There is a purpose for this procedure but there is also a time and stage of development where it works and where it does not. I want to know what you know and how you know it.

That will give me a better point of reference to try and help you out. I am impressed that you have the common sense to ask before you do it. Most of the time people do it then ask if it was OK and then wonder why things are not working out the way they are supposed to.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello Vance. I have a black pine i needle plucked this past fall mainly because i thought it would slow down growth in the areas i remove some needles. I was told that would encourage more growth on the areas not touched. Also, that it helps get sunlight in toward the trunk to keep from having foliage only on the outer parts of the branch. Also, to help see what i actually have inside. I approached some junipers that way, and wanted to see if it is the same for these also. Thanks for the encouragement. I like to study, study, and ask some more questions before doing anything. I am totally hooked on what bonsai enthusiasts have learned and the way you help even the basic beginner. Thanks again for the help.

Brad

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello Vance. I have a black pine i needle plucked this past fall mainly because i thought it would slow down growth in the areas i remove some needles. I was told that would encourage more growth on the areas not touched. Also, that it helps get sunlight in toward the trunk to keep from having foliage only on the outer parts of the branch. Also, to help see what i actually have inside. I approached some junipers that way, and wanted to see if it is the same for these also. Thanks for the encouragement. I like to study, study, and ask some more questions before doing anything. I am totally hooked on what bonsai enthusiasts have learned and the way you help even the basic beginner. Thanks again for the help.

Brad

My responses previously were for Mugo Pines. JBP's are a bit different. However; your method for JBP is accurate but with every thing else depends on the health of the tree. Your question concerning Junipers is valid but I am not too sure exactly what you have done to give you an accurate response for two reasons. I do not know what you mean by removing growth in the same way as Pines and I do not know what species of Juniper you did this with. Most Junipers you encounter are from the Chininses species but not all Juniper species react the same way.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks for the input. The junipers are Procumbens nana. I guess i was wrong in thinking that mugo pines should be treated like japanese black pines. I need to get in my head that every type of pine is going to be different. Maybe i should start over. Should i leave my new mugo to just grow, or do any type of pruning or pinching? I plan on planting in the ground with lots of other different species. I typically put a piece of plastic under the plants to keep the roots from growing downward. I know it just needs to get bigger now. What would be the best way to start learning these while it is growing?

Brad

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the input. The junipers are Procumbens nana. I guess i was wrong in thinking that mugo pines should be treated like japanese black pines. I need to get in my head that every type of pine is going to be different. Maybe i should start over. Should i leave my new mugo to just grow, or do any type of pruning or pinching? I plan on planting in the ground with lots of other different species. I typically put a piece of plastic under the plants to keep the roots from growing downward. I know it just needs to get bigger now. What would be the best way to start learning these while it is growing?

Brad

With Mugos you have to decide how big you want the tree etc. and work from there. Most nursery Mugos are blessed and cursed with an abundance of branches. To make a bonsai of one of them it is necessary to remove a lot of branches and establish some sort of trunk line. Some of them have these awful knuckle like joints where a lot of branches have budded out from one location. These have to be dealt with. If you could post a picture of the tree we might be able to give you some sort of advise as to where to cut and when.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Id like to get them much larger before going into bonsai pots. The first three are the one that i have in the ground, and the last two are one in a pot i am ready to plant. THanks for any suggestions. I had to lift the branches to get the camera under the last pic. It actually looks to me, now that i myself can see them better that the one thats potted might be tough. THe one thats planted has somewhat of a main trunk. Do i remove the other limbs? How many at a time, and time in between cuts? I know about not cutting flush until the wood dies, then making jin, or making flush after several seasons. If so, would you leave any limbs as sacrificial limbs for now? Are any of my thoughts correct?

Brad

Attachments

• DSCN2029.jpg
    DSCN2029.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2031.jpg
    DSCN2031.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN2030.jpg
    DSCN2030.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2032.jpg