Mugo Pine Needs A New Look - Imbedded photos

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I posted this on IBC.. but I thought some people here might enjoy it as well...

I restyled a mugo of mine after some virts and discussion on the other board.... :)

It's a start anyway... the after photo isn't good... I'll try and get a better one soon.

BEFORE....

mugo.jpg

FIRST VIRTUAL STYLE IDEA...

mugo_restyle.jpg

AFTER... for the moment...

mugo5202010.jpg

wire and deadwood need more work of course... but it's all I could get through tonight... I'll post more photos as it changes.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
V, much better! proportion and flow excellent.
Wood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work. You've definitely caught the movement in the trunk.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As I saw the first virt I thought no, but with the jin work and the foliage gone it makes a nice difference, good job.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for your comments gentlemen... :)

I had a lot of fun working on it... I think it'll turn out nice as it progresses. The tree went from boring and a little strange to kinda groovy in about 5 hours... it is one reason that working on mature trees is a pleasure... especially conifers... so much can change in a short amount of time. :D

I figure I'll give it a break for now and let it decide to be happy... but I don't think that will be much of a problem... the soil is full of mycorrhizae. It's a very healthy tree.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Miss Vic.... I like it very much... Actually, the before wasn't bad either,,The branches were just a bit to thick for the trunk.. I think this was a good decision and the tree looks much more natural and in balance now...

Also,,, I like the triangle..there it is as plain as day... That's right.. I'm being.. what's the word you would call it.. Cheeky....

Seriously though,, this is good work..

Rob

Attachments

• Copy (3) of untitled.bmp
    55.8 KB · Views: 42

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s.. The reason why there is a pic of the tree in my reply was to brighten it up so we could really see it. Unfortunatley, it shrank it down too small and I neglected to remove the pic.. but when I viewed it on my end after being brightened,, it is a really nice tree.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking foward to see the progression with this tree. Looking good so far:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful tree. Can we find out how big it is? How big the pot? Thickness of the trunk, high, wide?

Is it an optical illusion or does it have a very straight trunk with no taper at all up to the point the top branches fork off?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rob.... you and your triangles... it's only going to be there long enough to grow out the structure correctly... then it's hasta-la-bye-bye to the triangle. :p You are indeed cheeky. We'll always go around about that I imagine until we are old and grey... or until you get enlightened. lol :D:D:D

Duane... Thanks for the comment... I appreciate it. :)

Mac... It's probably about 10-ish inches tall... and there isn't a lot of taper form the soil to the large jin on the right. The trunk is a little better than an inch I think.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Took this one tonight... little easier to see... :)

Attachments

• mugo_after_web.jpg
    mugo_after_web.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Need to figure out a way to fatten up the lower third.

Still a pretty tree and much potential.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As a curiosity... would you be more content with it's scale if it were one third shorter?

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As a curiosity... would you be more content with it's scale if it were one third shorter?

V

Wouldn't mess with that. I would get rid of the dead branch pointing down and also cut the upper dead branch back some in the jin process.

There are some techniques to fatten the trunk. I'd look into them. Wouldn't take much and you could overcome the straight look all the way up.

Top Bottom