mugo pine question

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i bought a mugo the other day and seen that alot of people use colanders or pond baskets. so today i went to my local nursery where i get my bonsai soil from and then to lowes to buy a pond basket (on the tag it said plant basket). my question is when should i put the tree into the basket and what is the correct way to go about doing this transplant? here is also a picture of the mugo.mugo pine.jpg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brewmeister83 gave some good advice. We are coming into autumn now so I would recommend you let the tree overwinter and start rootwork and pruning in early spring...pond basked shoukd qork fine depending on aubstrate size. Looks like you got quite a nice little workable tree there. @Vance Wood should chip in soon

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brewmeister83 gave some good advice. We are coming into autumn now so I would recommend you let the tree overwinter and start rootwork and pruning in early spring...pond basked shoukd qork fine depending on aubstrate size. Looks like you got quite a nice little workable tree there. @Vance Wood should chip in soon
So it should be ok to go ahead and put into the pond basket with minimal root work?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So it should be ok to go ahead and put into the pond basket with minimal root work?
Putting it in the basket now would probably be kind of pointless. Better to just let it be.... plan your design for next year and study the species. Then in early spring do your rootwork and first styling basics.
The reason working now is kind of pointless or may even be dangerous for the tree is that it is going to get ready for hibernation. I'm not sure if styling is possible for this species in autumn.... I wish Vance would chip in

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Putting it in the basket now would probably be kind of pointless. Better to just let it be.... plan your design for next year and study the species. Then in early spring do your rootwork and first styling basics.
The reason working now is kind of pointless or may even be dangerous for the tree is that it is going to get ready for hibernation. I'm not sure if styling is possible for this species in autumn.... I wish Vance would chip in
Ok thanks. Ill just hold of until informed other wise. I sent him a message on his profile but no response yet. Im sure he is a busy man.

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did slip pot it to the pond basket. I didn't touch the roots just put some soil in to fill the gap.

Top Bottom