Mugo pine repotting test

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Mr Vance,my respect

I have purchased 4 nursery mugo pines,2 of them are mughus and other 2 are pumilios var.
So my plan is to try to grow a tree out of them with some potential to become a bonsai.I have some basic knowledge about bonsai.
I did my research on mugo pine and had read all the threads here about care for mugho pine.
That includes mugo pine care compiled posts from mr.Vance and posts with MyNelli and mr.Vance here and on IBC bonsai forum about timing for repotting mugos.
As you know mr.Vance recommends summer repotting and MyNeli did as recommended.
Unfortunately that didn't went well in the end and the tree died. After that an issue remains unsolved,and that is difference in climate areas in Europe and USA and time in season for repotting mugo pines.
Now guys I will try to resolve that issue as MyNeli climate zone is pretty much similar as mine.My plan is to repot the mugos in different time of the season. One, when the new needles separate,elongate and harden as mr.Vance said that is the time when he start all his work on mugos,that can happen here even in April,May. Second one I will repot in July how it is recommended in mugo pine care schedule.
Somebody may ask why my first step is repotting. I just have a peak inside the pot by gently slip the pot from root ball (not completely) and find out that in the bottom half inch, roots are circulated around a root ball and a soil is ordinary house plant soil.
I have prepared colanders,inorganic soil that is recommended by bonsai people here in Croatia.
(they know what are they talking about because they were mentored by mr.Walter Pall in person)and some organic soil made of 60%pine bark, 15%coconut shell etc. I will not cut a single branch or needle in this session.
Let's wait for the right time and find out the outcome. Maybe it early to start this thread but I'm
open for any comments,sugestions,advices so we can hopefully learn something.I hope that I raised some interest in mugo lovers and of course mr.Vance, yours advice anytime.

Pardon my english and my time zone is GMT+1

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hello: My name is Vance or Mr. Wood (he was was my father) but not Mr. Vance. Welcome to the world of the Mugo Pine. If you have read all the information I have posted you may remember I mentioned repotting during the summer anytime after the 20th of June, I was quite specific about July in many of those posts as references to particular trees I had repotted.

You need to post your location for this test to be good and we need some sort of idea that you really do know what you are doing. I saw a video of repotting a Mugo on YouTube where the demonstrator removed 100% of the soil and about 90% of the roots. The point is; strapping a pair of fake wings on your back and thinking you can fly are not necessarily the same things. Needless to say the tree died.

I am not saying that you are trying to do so, but there are people out there trying to discredit my work so I want to make certain that you do the work the same way I do, if that's alright with you?

Another two points: MyNelli's tree was grafted to forest pine, what we call Scots Pine: Pinus Sylvestrsi. Point two: If you plan on doing in the spring make sure you do it right as the buds start producing some color, this is early Spring.

Last edited:

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello: My name is Vance or Mr. Wood (he was was my father) but not Mr. Vance. Welcome to the world of the Mugo Pine. If you have read all the information I have posted you may remember I mentioned repotting during the summer anytime after the 20th of June, I was quite specific about July in many of those posts as references to particular trees I had repotted.

You need to post your location for this test to be good and we need some sort of idea that you really do know what you are doing. I saw a video of repotting a Mugo on YouTube where the demonstrator removed 100% of the soil and about 90% of the roots. The point is; strapping a pair of fake wings on your back and thinking you can fly are not necessarily the same things. Needless to say the tree died.

I am not saying that you are trying to do so, but there are people out there trying to discredit my work so I want to make certain that you do the work the same way I do, if that's alright with you?

Another two points: MyNelli's tree was grafted to forest pine, what we call Scots Pine: Pinus Sylvestrsi. Point two: If you plan on doing in the spring make sure you do it right as the buds start producing some color, this is early Spring.

Thank you Vance,
I am not planning to do anything even close that guy did. Also you can see I didn't mention any bonsai pot, and I'm aware of the term "'instant bonsai"'.That is not my intention.
I will just cut on three spots those circulated roots an inch deep in to the root ball and keep about 50% of old soil and that's it. I will accept any correction on this before I do anything.
It doesn't have to be any date in particular in spring. I want to see a change on plant and then do something. Now is that when I will see a change in color on bud or let the needles develop and harden on that new bud, that's for the first plant I'm asking.The second one I'll do end of June or beginning of July.
My location is Croatia, Mediterranean climate, that can be compared with USA hardiness zone 9 or 9A.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you Vance,
I am not planning to do anything even close that guy did. Also you can see I didn't mention any bonsai pot, and I'm aware of the term "'instant bonsai"'.That is not my intention.
I will just cut on three spots those circulated roots an inch deep in to the root ball and keep about 50% of old soil and that's it. I will accept any correction on this before I do anything.
It doesn't have to be any date in particular in spring. I want to see a change on plant and then do something. Now is that when I will see a change in color on bud or let the needles develop and harden on that new bud, that's for the first plant I'm asking.The second one I'll do end of June or beginning of July.
My location is Croatia, Mediterranean climate, that can be compared with USA hardiness zone 9 or 9A.

When do you plan on starting this project? I might be able to post a Video to help.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Vance you may want to rethink your comments on "Mr. Vance". Here is the south Mr or Miss (first name) is a sign of respect commonly heard. So Mr Vance hope you have a great day.

You are completely right ,that was a sign of respect

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
When do you plan on starting this project? I might be able to post a Video to help.

The Spring starts here in March,at least it use to be like that but nowadays one can't say with all of this global climate changes. I will wait for that sign on buds that I mentioned.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You are completely right ,that was a sign of respect

Thank you I appreciate your respect that was not my intention to demean your expression. My father always said you can call me anything except late for Dinner.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I do worry about your hardiness zone which is the problem MyNelli experienced. Are the Mugos you acquired grafted or on their own roots?

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I do worry about your hardiness zone which is the problem MyNelli experienced. Are the Mugos you acquired grafted or on their own roots?

I can't see anything on trunk,and I didn't disturb the upper soil to see the beginning of the roots.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dalmat here in the U.S. spring is usually in March. I was looking up Croatia and it stated that your winters lasted until March there and your weather was intemperate unless you were on the Dalmation coast. I think you would have to be certain what spring was in your area and make sure you were not having a " Bura " to make a fair comparison.

ed

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Dalmat here in the U.S. spring is usually in March. I was looking up Croatia and it stated that your winters lasted until March there and your weather was intemperate unless you were on the Dalmation coast. I think you would have to be certain what spring was in your area and make sure you were not having a " Bura " to make a fair comparison.

ed

Yes I'm on Dalmatian coast, "Bura" at this moment has just started. Comparison was just aproximative. Thanks

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes I'm on Dalmatian coast, "Bura" at this moment has just started. Comparison was just aproximative. Thanks

If you insist on a Spring repot and for you early Spring is now here is what you do. You mentioned you had a pond basket to put the tree in? Do you have some decent bonsai soil? Do you have a saw you can use to saw through the soil ball? Did you not say the trees are 2-3 gallon garden center pots?

I would love to help to make sure this experiment is legitimate. Please answer back before you do anything.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
If you insist on a Spring repot and for you early Spring is now here is what you do. You mentioned you had a pond basket to put the tree in? Do you have some decent bonsai soil? Do you have a saw you can use to saw through the soil ball? Did you not say the trees are 2-3 gallon garden center pots?

I would love to help to make sure this experiment is legitimate. Please answer back before you do anything.

In my opening post I have mentioned soil,please see. I'm not insisting on spring. I said I will wait for the signs on the plant, and I asked later ïs it right time when buds start to change color or when the new needles extend and harden off . That's for one plant and second one I'll do in that June-July period no matter on changes on plant. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
I don't understand what do you mean with legitimate

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In my opening post I have mentioned soil,please see. I'm not insisting on spring. I said I will wait for the signs on the plant, and I asked later ïs it right time when buds start to change color or when the new needles extend and harden off . That's for one plant and second one I'll do in that June-July period no matter on changes on plant. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
I don't understand what do you mean with legitimate

I have had people say they followed my methods and I come to find out latter that they bare rooted the tree essentially, or removed way to much of the soil mass. You cannot have a legitimate test unless everything is done the same way. They also tore into the soil mass with root hooks instead of sawing their way into the soil ball.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I have had people say they followed my methods and I come to find out latter that they bare rooted the tree essentially, or removed way to much of the soil mass. You cannot have a legitimate test unless everything is done the same way. They also tore into the soil mass with root hooks instead of sawing their way into the soil ball.

I have described what I did see in one pot,so I think saw will not even be necessary,pruning shears would be enough. Not a teaspoon of soil removed. we have at least two months ahead before any work, but I started this tread to make sure we understand exactly what is going to be done and how. I fully understand your instruction on cutting rottball as a slices of pie but only an inch deep and leaving old soil at least 50%. No disturbing rotts,no hooks.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dalmat, PLEASE go to your profile and put your location on your profile, so it will show up every time you post and we dont have to keep asking you a year from now where in the world you are. None of us will remember.

Thanks

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Vance,

I was reading this thread from beginning ,and it seems to me that you are thinking that this test is about questioning your methods . That's far away from truth. I think nobody is entitled to do so, because you have proved yours success . Test is all about helping people who would like to grow mugos in different climate then yours ,simply by using advice from very experienced man. So please can you tell me what is that you wait to see on the buds of your mugo pine and say ok now I can repot it. By observing my mugo I want to compare in which month that same change happens here in my climate,probably earlier. So by your experience from previous years can you describe that change on bud, how it looks like. Then I think we can say, for example around May 20 in my climate zone we can repot mugo.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi Vance,

I was reading this thread from beginning ,and it seems to me that you are thinking that this test is about questioning your methods . That's far away from truth. I think nobody is entitled to do so, because you have proved yours success . Test is all about helping people who would like to grow mugos in different climate then yours ,simply by using advice from very experienced man. So please can you tell me what is that you wait to see on the buds of your mugo pine and say ok now I can repot it. By observing my mugo I want to compare in which month that same change happens here in my climate,probably earlier. So by your experience from previous years can you describe that change on bud, how it looks like. Then I think we can say, for example around May 20 in my climate zone we can repot mugo.

I used to repot my Mugos in the Spring, Early Spring. Once the buds start to swell and show a bit of green around the outside of each bud, like they are starting to crack---I repot if I have to do a Spring repot. Normally anymore I wait till the needles have opened and the shoots have extended and the groups open up. Then I will repot. You have said that you do not plan on doing any root pruning? I am at this point not sure what it is you want to do, and why. I do not mean to sound like I am avoiding the question. After think about your situation and the similarities with MyNelli perhaps early Spring would work better for you, but it has to be really early as I have described.

Top Bottom