Mugo Pine repotting

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Last year around july, I put my mugo pine in a large planter so that it develops and thickens up. It put it in a stone planter so that I can keep in my front garden and stay there as evergreen ornamental plant as well, while it thickens up.

I unfortunatley put the usual garden compost in the planter. The roots have spread out and filled the space, as expected.

I now want to remove the garden compost and replace it with proper bonsai substrate as garden compost dries much too quickly and also I am sure if garden compost is the best thing.

Please can someone advise me about this? What are the do' s and dont's so do a successful transplantation. Also is garden compost not too bad?

m1.JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If your tree is happy, and you adjusted your watering to tailor this soil, then I don't see a reason to repot.

If you can wait another year, I'd do so if I were you.

I can repeat what Vance does, but it might be better for you to google search "bonsai nut mugo vance wood compiled". Someone on this forum has bundled his advice on mugo's and it works well for a lot of people. It's a good guide.
Personally I have a spring repotting schedule for mugos because summer work tends to kill them in my hands.

Top Bottom