Mugo Pine softwood cuttings trial

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

considering earlier threads indicated success on mugo pine seedling cuttings, and I saw a post of someone also taking cuttings of mature mugo I decided to collect the new growing tips of a mugo-pine hedge here in the village, before they do their mid-spring trim.

They are now soaking in a bit of foliarfeed and rooting hormone, will put them up tonight, will post some pics then.
Any thoughts /suggestions / recommendations meanwhile?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Keep them watered well. I got a 60% strike rate in 2019 in sphagnum moss. With a little rooting hormone and keeping the moss soaked.
Then the birds came, you can guess the rest.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I thought blackbirds were the traditional filling for pies????? This one is the wrong color!

Good luck with the mugho cuttings. My first attempt yielded 2 plants from 2 cuttings so I thought it was easy. Since then I have had dismal failures but I put more in last summer to see if I can get a better rate this time.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck with the mugho cuttings. My first attempt yielded 2 plants from 2 cuttings so I thought it was easy. Since then I have had dismal failures but I put more in last summer to see if I can get a better rate this time.
sounds like a challenge :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I thought blackbirds were the traditional filling for pies????? This one is the wrong color!

Good luck with the mugho cuttings. My first attempt yielded 2 plants from 2 cuttings so I thought it was easy. Since then I have had dismal failures but I put more in last summer to see if I can get a better rate
Any photos and more info about the cuttings, soil, time of year..

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None whatsoever. In fact.. I think all but 3 are dead. Lesson learned? Not really. Except for the fact that I am not succesfull with this yet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I missed this thread before.

I took some brown wood cuttings in spring and I swear they rooted. Can't wait to go home and see. Last time I checked the buds were larger than the last time I checked.

Sorce

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Broke off a green shoot off the base of huge costal redwood at park by me in early spring. It rooted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Broke off a green shoot off the base of huge costal redwood at park by me in early spring. It rooted.

Redwoods root relatively easy from cutting they are in Cupressaceae family, Pines (pinaceae) in the other hand are pretty complicated not imposible, JBP its known to layer good and can be rooted by cuttings Kuromatsu toriki

114-2.jpg

114-3.jpg

Top Bottom