Mugo Pine, spider apex, what to do?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is an example of a spider apex that is often seen in mugo pines.

It is on a second trunk that will be eliminated next year from one of my mugos so it isnt an issue for this tree, but I thought it might be informative if Vance could give some information on how best to deal with this kind of thing for mugos.

I would guess that you would pick one for the future apex and slowly eliminate the rest over a few years until the chosen one is left?
Or is this even something that can be worked into a good apex over time?

Attachments

• Spider_apex_small.jpg
    Spider_apex_small.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm interested as well. I have a mugo with a whorl of branches near the apex. I plan on reducing it to two branches and hoping they backbud well down the road.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would want to cut it off completely down to that branch under it. It would have a nasty bulge there no matter how many legs of the spider were cut off.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bumping so hopefully Vance sees this. Tried to PM him but his mailbox is full.
I dont think he checks the pines section very often for some odd reason.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bump to keep thread from getting what buried

Vance must have seen this sort of thing before with mugos. Still would love to see his perspective on it......
even if it is "forget it, not worth dealing with, wont work," etc

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I got the message: Yes I have seen this kind of thing many times. It is the mini-version of the knuckle formation. You can generally get away with removing them all or treating them like you would when encountering multiple buds at one location; remove all of them or leave a maximum of there. They will, in a year or two, straighten themselves out. If you do nothing they will become really ugly. So it seems that we have encountered another instance of me not getting the notification of new posts or additions to old ones.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Vance,

It is good to know that if dealt with properly, this type of formation can be turned into a useful apex. I would hate to find a tree with a nice trunk but because the apex was similar to this, the tree could not be corrected.

Vance, I think the "New Posts" function only lists a certain number of new threads. If more than the critical number get posted afterward, then some dont make the list even though they are new to the reader. That is why I always check the board topics that interest me (Pines, Junipers, etc) every day besides the "General Discussion" section. Otherwise, I miss things.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance,

It is good to know that if dealt with properly, this type of formation can be turned into a useful apex. I would hate to find a tree with a nice trunk but because the apex was similar to this, the tree could not be corrected.

Vance, I think the "New Posts" function only lists a certain number of new threads. If more than the critical number get posted afterward, then some dont make the list even though they are new to the reader. That is why I always check the board topics that interest me (Pines, Junipers, etc) every day besides the "General Discussion" section. Otherwise, I miss things.

Thanks for the information I will attempt to keep up with it.

Top Bottom