Mugo Pine Styling

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Here is a mugo pine that I picked up at a very small nursery in the middle of nowhere. It has been in a nursery container for 20 years. This is that lucky nursery find that comes along once in a blue moon and we got lots of cool stuff, one bieng this little mugo pine.

Here are some progression shots over the past few months....

First is how it was when I bought it.... bushy!
Then the work as is was finished for the time bieng.....front and back mid way through....

Attachments

• mugob4.JPG
    mugob4.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 178
  • mugofrontmidway.JPG
    mugofrontmidway.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 190
  • mugobackmidway.JPG
    mugobackmidway.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 191

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The tree sat in the yard for the past few months.....atleast.

Then a few days ago I decided to repot in an Erin Pot from obpots. It was the perfect sized pot for a first potting.

So there is sat on the bench for a week or so and I knew I left it unfinished so I had to wire every little shoot and branch before I could get any sleep.....

The results are pretty good I think.

2 pics of the front, 1 slightly elevated,1 of the back and a top shot of the branching.

So, let me have it, good or bad ;) Oh, and in the 2nd picture there are a ton of needles and those are from a JBP that I worked on right before this tree....

Enjoy! Jason

Attachments

• MugoAfter.JPG
    MugoAfter.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Mugofront3.JPG
    Mugofront3.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Mugoafterback.JPG
    Mugoafterback.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 99
  • mugotop.JPG
    mugotop.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason,
That's a real find! I like what you have done with it so far, especially the step of losing the first branch! what if you tilted the tree about 15 degrees to the left?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason,
That's a real find! I like what you have done with it so far, especially the step of losing the first branch! what if you tilted the tree about 15 degrees to the left?

Hey Chris,

I thought about tilting it a bit like you say, but in person it just didn't do that much. Here is a picture of what could be the next step next year???? I doubt it, but it could happen.

In person this is a really cool tree and is pretty much finished except some refinement down the road. I think it has potential to be a really good little tree, even for a nursery tree, HAHAH!! Just kidding!

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• Mugofront3[1].JPG
    Mugofront3[1].JPG
    27 KB · Views: 93

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason, this mugo looks unusal in that it seems to have a single trunk line. Is that the way you found it or did you cut a lot of trunks away?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason, this mugo looks unusal in that it seems to have a single trunk line. Is that the way you found it or did you cut a lot of trunks away?

Hi Barry,

I actually got lucky and found 2 good ones with single trunks, this is one of them. Like you eluded too, most mugos are the multi trunked ones and that is basically a ton of lower branching that have rooted over time. Every now and then a guy can find a single trunk mugo.....
Here in Oregon, this is where most mugos for the nursery trade are grown so we have the privilage to view hundereds of thousands of them locally. I know of a few wholesale places where a guy can look through a several thousand and normally score some good single trunks.

Thanks for the question.

Jason

Top Bottom