Mugo - pine tip blight? or . . . ?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have this showing on several mugo and Japanese black pines. This year I have treated with a systemic fungicide and with Daconil several times.
Any ideas? What can I do?
For now I am re-treating with Infuse and removing all affected branches.
DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0049.JPGDSC_0050.JPGDSC_0051.JPGIMG_1788.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess, when you hear so much about these "cides" saving things, it's hard to switch positions.

But from my perspective, all that poison is what makes trees look poisoned.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Have you cut open one of those branches to see what happened on the inside?
This damage is pretty unfamiliar to me.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I guess, when you hear so much about these "cides" saving things, it's hard to switch positions.

But from my perspective, all that poison is what makes trees look poisoned.

Sorce
That looks what I have on a JBP. Some small isolated shoots, buds and all were brown this spring, they are in the interior but on top so in no way shaded. The rest of the tree looks great. If not a "cide", what?
Thanks

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That looks what I have on a JBP. Some small isolated shoots, buds and all were brown this spring, they are in the interior but on top so in no way shaded. The rest of the tree looks great. If not a "cide", what?
Thanks
Obstinacy??? It seems to me that one of the characteristics of pines is being obstinate. :p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If not a "cide", what?

Prevention first, which I understand doesn't help now, but it will in the Future.

Cides become "reverse placebos" really fast. People think they work, or are the cure, so they leave the tree for them to "work", but it wasn't needed in the first place, so the problem gets worse and they use cide B. The problem continues to get worse, but they are convinced the next cide will work. Apply. Still nothing. Then a thread on it. With the use of three chemicals. This is about the 5th one this season.

There have been about 4 threads recently with varying rates of the same kind of damage I've been finding and curing, simply by removing pill bugs from the soil.

This, looks like what my damage may have, if I didn't remove the bugs

I recently got validation in my "health to prevent" thoughts from W.P. , so I am sure I won't have to use cides ever, since my husbandry is also improving.

But further, there is a lot to be said about owning trees that don't fall victim to these problems. Local stuff.

We are too selfish in what we must have.

Here, mugo, spruce, shimpaku, kinda elms, are what lives with little worry of infection.

Remembering we are on a bigger earth, and remaining small, humble, goes a long way into the enjoyment of this hobby.

How does spraying shit on your trees that may give your children defects, cancer, the inability to fight off a new virus....ahem...allow for this to be the relaxing, enjoyable hobby this is supposed to be?

That's the kicker.

We say we do this for joy. We lie to ourselves.

Resorce.

Sorce

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
It doesnt really look like a fungal needle blight, but its hard to tell from your pictures
Could it also be from late frost damage and/ or dessication?
Applying pesticides without first getting a pest or disease diagnosis is not the best answer and could be the cause of some of the problems ,
They are only small trees and this year youve already treated them with a systemic fungicide and with Daconil several times, and are now youre re-treating with Infuse, Its only May now - You could be in danger of killing them with''KINDNESS'' ;)

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Could it also be from late frost damage and/ or desiccation?

My original though re. mine. The winter 18-19 I had Quite a lot of browned off needles & shoots but it was not as neat/abrupt as this, also these sites corresponded exactly with the sites that had iced over from multiple rain and freeze cycles.
This winter was long but mild & without any ice storms.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It doesnt really look like a fungal needle blight, but its hard to tell from your pictures
Could it also be from late frost damage and/ or dessication?
Applying pesticides without first getting a pest or disease diagnosis is not the best answer and could be the cause of some of the problems ,
They are only small trees and this year youve already treated them with a systemic fungicide and with Daconil several times, and are now youre re-treating with Infuse, Its only May now - You could be in danger of killing them with''KINDNESS'' ;)
No, it does not look like needle blight. Infuse is the systemic I have already used. After a little more research I will not re-treat with Infuse, it is only good as a preventive.
It appears too spotty to be frost or desiccation, either of those would not affect just one or two tips on an otherwise healthy tree.

I will investigate for insect damage.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found larva inside several affected terminals, pine tip moth but I am unsure which species.

On a side note, after one has pinched off some pine buds he or she should refrain from rubbing one's eyes. (My only consolation is that I am assuming turpentine killed the stupid gnat or whatever it was.)

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nantucket pine tip moth.
At this time I am only removing affected buds.

Top Bottom