mugo pine w needle cast

Reaction score
I have a mugo pine, It recently had most of the needle tips turn brown. I am jujst assuming its needle cast, It had been slightly wet recently and over a month ago it was really wet for about an entire month. I treated it with daconil fungicide and bonide copper fungicide a couple weeks later. I will do it again today. I had trimmed most of the needles on the tree. I only cut them half way down cause like I said every needle was infected almost. I thought that would hold it over until the new needles came out. I had to change the dirt out because it was still in the same pot that I got from lowes. I understand that is reckless during this time it needs to be healing and regenerating. anyway, it has had some new candles extending and at first they were completely green and looked super healthy then today on 1 or 2 of the condles had browning tips on the new needles :(

So aside from what im doing, Does anyone have any other Ideas I could do to stop this or do you think the tree is going to make it???

Im not as familiar with mugo pines. any help is great.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like too much water not needle cast.

Reaction score
Also my boxwoods got infected with something after the needlecast, I assuming its the same thing
I cut off most of it except on the big boxwood I have.

Buxus DT browned middle 8.17.18.JPG

Heres the Mugo Pine

Pinus Mugo needle cast treatment 1 8.17.18.JPG
Pinus Mugo needle cast treatment 2 8.17.18.JPG
Pinus Mugo needle cast treatment 3 8.17.18.JPG
Pinus Mugo needle cast treatment 4 8.17.18.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0534.JPG
    DSC_0534.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 3

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
soil looks awful. Probably been too wet.

Here in Georgia, mugos really don’t do that well. They like colder climates.

But... let Vance advise you. I dont do Mugo pines. Almost every other kind, but not Mugo.

Reaction score
Its been relatively dry the past month, I didnt notice it before last week. Idk, it just randomly showed up and I've read that it infects other trees and the couple boxwoods that were next to it turned brown too...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahhh... Georgia.
Nuff said.
Too hot,too much direct sun.
Also they like lots of down time being frozen in winter.
The soil is horrible looking but it isn't in a good place for its health either.

Top Bottom