Mugo Pine white buds?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had this Mugo pine sitting around since last year and havent done much with it. I initially brought it home, cleaned out dead needles, and cut a few branches then essentially left it untouched. I saw that i could do some more branch selection this time of year, so i figured i would bring it in to do some summer work. Cleaning it up, i notice most of the buds look white and did not appear to candle out like i see other pines. Is this normal? Some kind of scale?
IMG_20190714_110835.jpgIMG_20190714_110829.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went out to look at mine cuz I noticed them smooth and light orange yellow the other day.
20190714_113646.jpg

Seems a bit white but I reckon its just excess water.

Everything Overwatered first tries to keep up via regular transpiration. When that gets to be too much function your needle tips burn out from working too hard. Yeller.

They'll try to lose it as sap from the buds too.

Mine are "overwatered".

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Layers of refracting resin are a great way to stop UV-radiation from damaging the cells inside. Studies have shown that pines exposed to high UV levels become sterile. I think that because Mugo's come from elevated areas like the Alps, they excrete a bit more resin that most other pines.

Top Bottom