Mugo Pine Work

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello to all. I have this mugo pine i have been messing with since last year, and was told not to do any pruning with until this summer. I know its hard to see, but all of the branches grow laterally and really no apex to speak of, and there are roots coming out of the trunk. Would now be a good time to take off the lateral shoots, and start growing the small branch on top as the new apex, or leave the laterals and grow out the top first? Let me know if you want more pics from different angles. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN2760.jpg
    DSCN2760.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN2761.jpg
    DSCN2761.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN2762.jpg
    DSCN2762.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great question. I just got a mugo and was thinking the same thing.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello digger714.. I believe now would be ok... However, the man you want to talk to is Vance Wood. He is a Mugho Pine expert and has been growing them for a very long time. I am sure if you pm him he will gladly help you. Also, if he sees this thread. I am pretty sure he will offer advice. He is very generous with his advice.

Rob

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've read that the best time to prune mugos is in August. Vance will confirm whether that is true or not but I pruned on of mine last year and it seems quite happy so far. Just remember mugos bleed a lot so sealing the cuts well is a must. Also oonce you do any major work you need to wait at least a year before doing any more major work.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You have your work cut out for you. If I understand you correctly you want to eliminate the two large branches at the base and grow out the little buds forming between them? Don't do it. Mugos cannot handle that drastic a prune at anytime, you will kill it. If you want to eliminate both main trunks you can do it but it will have to be done over several years. This year you can cut one of them off as long as you leave a one inch stubb. If you don't do this the associated growth veins will die and you will lose part of the trunk in all probability. Allow the growth you want to develop to grow this year unmolested, as well as the other trunk. Don't worry about anything else this year. Unless the soil is real bad leave it in the nursery container for now, that wont hurt anything drastacially for an additional year.

Top Bottom