Mugo pine

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I got this guy last summer from a bonsai nursery.I managed to keep it alive over the winter in my garage
and now the candles are starting to grow I haven"t done anything to it except keep it alive. I am new to this.
and have learned so much on here ,and Iknow there is alot of info about mugos on here. just dont know where
to go from here, shoukld I let it grow? should I cut candles? ect. dont think it needs to be repotted yet
and if it did you would do it in the summer.I know that much lol!
Any advice would be a greatt help
ps.I know Vance is the expert on this topic and cant wait to respond LOL!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 97

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Been on this forum for a long time and doing bonsai even longer. I'm just curious as to what makes Vance Wood "the expert" in mugo

I get Walter Pall has more mugos. I bet most professionals in Europe have more mugos.

Anyway, I'm not discrediting his knowledge in a species that he seems in grow in a significant number but what makes him an expert.

I have over 30 shimpakus and more than 15 years years of bonsai under my belt but I am certainly not a shimpaku expert.

Also I don't mean to pick on OP but this has been a recurring theme for the last few years on this board and I just want some clarification....

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Been on this forum for a long time and doing bonsai even longer. I'm just curious as to what makes Vance Wood "the expert" in mugo

I get Walter Pall has more mugos. I bet most professionals in Europe have more mugos.

Anyway, I'm not discrediting his knowledge in a species that he seems in grow in a significant number but what makes him an expert.

I have over 30 shimpakus and more than 15 years years of bonsai under my belt but I am certainly not a shimpaku expert.

Also I don't mean to pick on OP but this has been a recurring theme for the last few years on this board and I just want some clarification....

Vance is the most knowledgeable about mugo here that posts/helps regularly. It would be great if Walter does but he doesn't...neither does the experts in Europe.

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I overwinterd it in my garage is what i meant sorry.I just want advice on my mugo not to start a war!
come on guys this is a bonsai forum dont be so touchy

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
BUDDHAMONK if you are so knowlegable why dont you inpress us and give some advice!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vance has been growing and working on mugos for 40+ years. He has probably grown more mugos than anyone in the United States and he has been successful in getting them not only to thrive but also making bonsai out of them.

Walter Pall may have more mugos, I have no idea, but I dont think the number of trees one has determines whether one is an expert but what one does with them. I would agree that Walter probably could be considered an expert. I know he has done some mugo, maybe even alot of them. Again, I dont know, Ive seen very few.

Nothing against Walter, he has awesome trees and does awesome work and I have alot of respect for his work. But he is a busy guy and the fact is he almost never posts anything here or anywhere really except for his blog so getting advice from him is like drawing blood from a stone.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nothing against Walter, but the fact is he almost never posts anything here or anywhere really except for his blog so getting advice from him is like drawing blood from a stone.

Exactly. There are experts and there are LOCAL (B-Nut in this case) experts. I do not care for anyone even if they can raise the dead... if they are not helping us here. I'd take the local expert who willingly offers a helping hand any day.

Those are the likes of Vance, BVF, October, M5, Dave, V, etc. etc. (to name a few)

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Not trying to start a war - just wondering why some people are considered experts and why Vance Wood in particular is "the mugo expert"

I'm sorry but active participation on a bonsai forum does not make one an expert....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Steve,

The tree looks healthy so kudo on that.

Id also like to see Vances advice, and it is hard to say from just the one picture, but my first impression is that you have a bar branch at the bottom ie:strong 2 branches coming off the trunk at the same spot. This is bad.

If it doesnt need a repot, you might think about which one you would remove. When you cut one off, leave a stump, dont cut flush to the trunk yet.

Its too early to pinch candles, but if you have 3 or more in any place, you can remove the strongest ones and leave 2.

If you want, bring it to next week's club meeting. Might be easier to give you some advice after seeing the tree in person.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not trying to start a war - just wondering why some people are considered experts and why Vance Wood in particular is "the mugo expert"

I'm sorry but active participation on a bonsai forum does not make one an expert....

It doesn't...otherwise I will be expert. :rolleyes:

BUT, the people you are referring to are useless to us here. How good is Kimura in B-Nut? Ryan Neil? They are great and I would love to pick their minds but in B-Nut...they are useless. Buy a book or watch you-tube and you will get lots from them...zero at B-Nut.

Do you understand?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

It is not his forum participation we are considering.

Paradox said:
Vance has been growing and working on mugos for 40+ years. He has probably grown more mugos than anyone in the United States and he has been successful in getting them not only to thrive but also making bonsai out of them.

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
BUDDHAMONK if you are so knowlegable why dont you inpress us and give some advice!

You asked for my input

If you want an OK bonsai in 20 years - keep in a pot and try your best keeping it healthy
If you want a GREAT bonsai that you can put in a show someday, put it in the ground for a couple of decades or more...

it all depends on how good you want the end product to look like. People hate what the advice "put it in the ground" but that's the only thing to do if you want a great bonsai out of it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
his participation is what most people so far have mentioned...

Then apparently you missed my first post. Ill quote it for you a second time

Paradox said:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
his participation is what most people so far have mentioned...

Did you read what Paradox posted? He is respected because of his knowledge not his participation. He is valuable here because he is willing to share & participates. If you are better, we would love you to step in...the crown can be shared or if you are that good, you can take it.

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
thanks Sandy ! maybe I will do that . Thats all I wanted some good advice not who is the better to ask!

Top Bottom