Mugo pine

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just started in bonsai did quite a bit of reading. Went to a landscape store and found a Mugo pine. Sorted through them and found this one, I love the trunk. Trimmed it and shaped. I’ve seen some posts about knuckles swelling with more than two branches this is happening to this one. My question is I’ve taken a lot of folage removed already do I take more off or do I wait till next year, reverse taper or tree health? Any other suggestions are welcome. 71569A92-1256-43FE-B5FB-C955F3C0F2BC.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
😊

As I said in response to your other post, since you pruned it already this year, I would leave it alone until next year.

Next year, I would repot it into a training pot.

Looks like you have a good start with it but don't rush it and kill it by overworking it.

Reactions: Rod

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good that you love the trunk.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need some more advice from all of you. My Mugo is really back budding a lot. At what point do I start reducing the length of the branches , I do want them to thicken a lot to give it some aged size. Is it best to let it grow a few years, pruning candles to get ramification and size. IMG_1891.jpegIMG_1892.jpegIMG_1893.jpegIMG_1894.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I need some more advice from all of you. My Mugo is really back budding a lot. At what point do I start reducing the length of the branches , I do want them to thicken a lot to give it some aged size. Is it best to let it grow a few years, pruning candles to get ramification and size.
The first question you need to answer is what you want this tree to look like?
Do you want a much bigger tree or are you happy with the trunk size as is?
It has a nice trunk now and would make a very nice shohin.

If you want a much bigger tree, pick one branch to be a sacrifice branch and let that grow big so it can thicken the trunk. You'll also have to plant it in the ground to get it to grow faster. This will take several years to grow a bigger trunk. Develop the other branches as I describe below.

If you like it about the size it is, then don't grow a sacrifice branch. The branches are big enough for the current size. Let it grow this summer and feed it regularly. In August, cut this year's shoots in half...note do not cut them off completely. This is a mugo not a Japanese black pine. We dont candle cut mugos. Leave several pairs of needles. Thus will redirect energy to the developing buds below them.

Let those buds grow this year and next at least. Might take a year or two more though. You can cut back to one of those shoots when one or more gets big enough to support the branch.

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first question you need to answer is what you want this tree to look like?
Do you want a much bigger tree or are you happy with the trunk size as is?
It has a nice trunk now and would make a very nice shohin.

If you want a much bigger tree, pick one branch to be a sacrifice branch and let that grow big so it can thicken the trunk. You'll also have to plant it in the ground to get it to grow faster. This will take several years to grow a bigger trunk. Develop the other branches as I describe below.

If you like it about the size it is, then don't grow a sacrifice branch. The branches are big enough for the current size. Let it grow this summer and feed it regularly. In August, cut this year's shoots in half...note do not cut them off completely. This is a mugo not a Japanese black pine. We dont candle cut mugos. Leave several pairs of needles. Thus will redirect energy to the developing buds below them.

Let those buds grow this year and next at least. Might take a year or two more though. You can cut back to one of those shoots when one or more gets big enough to support the branch.
I keep flip flopping on growing it bigger, but I do like the size now. If I keep the trunk as is how much would I want to reduce branch length to keep it in prospective size to trunk. And maintain its present shape. Also developing an apex’s. I think that is we’re I’m stuck , getting to the next step. I like the structure it just needs more. Thanks you helped me decide to keep trunk present size.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
F
I keep flip flopping on growing it bigger, but I do like the size now. If I keep the trunk as is how much would I want to reduce branch length to keep it in prospective size to trunk. And maintain its present shape. Also developing an apex’s. I think that is we’re I’m stuck , getting to the next step. I like the structure it just needs more. Thanks you helped me decide to keep trunk present size.
Follow the instructions I gave you above for keeping the tree the current size trunk.

Feed it well. Every 2 weeks with liquid fertilizer then cut back this year's growth as I describe above and watch those back buds. Let those grow until they are big enough to cut back to. Post pics here and ask if you aren't sure.

Rod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks I’ll let it grow for now, and send pictures in a few months to see if you think I can cut back then or wait. I really appreciate your help, thank you

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks I’ll let it grow for now, and send pictures in a few months to see if you think I can cut back then or wait. I really appreciate your help, thank you

If you have new buds this year, it will probably take a couple of years before those buds grow into big enough branches that can support the main branch and you can cut back to them.

Patience padawan, bonsai is a marathon, not a sprint

Top Bottom