Mugo progression

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looks like you found those answers.
That's when you learned to leave a stub too I gather.
That's a yes, though the stub idea came before the knowledge of architectural isolation.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I think the bottom branch is now officially deceased :( Some half/green or green needles, but mostly brown, brittle and falling off...

20180308_100828.jpg

20180308_100934.jpg

Could this be the result of removing the foliage of the opposite branch? @Vance Wood? They were on the exact same level on the trunk... Any advice on further care?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think the bottom branch is now officially deceased :( Some half/green or green needles, but mostly brown, brittle and falling off...

View attachment 182397

View attachment 182398

Could this be the result of removing the foliage of the opposite branch? @Vance Wood? They were on the exact same level on the trunk... Any advice on further care?
I can't see enough of the tree in constext to really know but I think you probably broke the cambium applying the wire. This is easy to do. Some people are too rough with the wiring process bending the branch here and there and back and forth. Sometimes the cambium under the bark will be damaged beyond its ability to heal. Without seeing a photo of the tree before the procedure and then after I have no clue as to whether removal of opposing foliage had anything to do with its demise.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I can't see enough of the tree in constext to really know but I think you probably broke the cambium applying the wire. This is easy to do. Some people are too rough with the wiring process bending the branch here and there and back and forth. Sometimes the cambium under the bark will be damaged beyond its ability to heal. Without seeing a photo of the tree before the procedure and then after I have no clue as to whether removal of opposing foliage had anything to do with its demise.
Thanks for the reply. I must say the wiring and bending may have been a bit too aggressive. We were trying to compact the foliage, create a pad on the lowest branch and we may have overdone it...
A couple of smaller, secondary branches died off as well. Maybe I can find similarities in the way I wired them and come to a conclusion. I'm pretty bummed out by it, but I guess it's part of the learning process.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the reply. I must say the wiring and bending may have been a bit too aggressive. We were trying to compact the foliage, create a pad on the lowest branch and we may have overdone it...
A couple of smaller, secondary branches died off as well. Maybe I can find similarities in the way I wired them and come to a conclusion. I'm pretty bummed out by it, but I guess it's part of the learning process.
When did you do the initial wiring?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With straight trunk seemed big mistake to remove any low branch. Had better possibilities before "workshop":rolleyes:. Does tree now resemble any natural Mugo?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
With straight trunk seemed big mistake to remove any low branch. Had better possibilities before "workshop":rolleyes:. Does tree now resemble any natural Mugo?
The trunk is not that straight so I am not sure what you are reffering to here, and I don't know of to many people in North America that have seen a natural Mugo. To say the tree looked better before the workshop is nothing short of insulting, and I reject that point of view.

I went back and re-read the entire thread and the branch that has died is not the end of the world. Actually the loss of the branch is not the bummer you think it is. Look at your tree, you have only change the direction of growth.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The trunk is not that straight so I am not sure what you are reffering to here, and I don't know of to many people in North America that have seen a natural Mugo. To say the tree looked better before the workshop is nothing short of insulting, and I reject that point of view.

I went back and re-read the entire thread and the branch that has died is not the end of the world. Actually the loss of the branch is not the bummer you think it is. Look at your tree, you have only change the direction of growth.
Assuming that the entire lower branch is gone and nature gives you lemons you make lemonade. Actually in the earlier pictures the lower branch seems a bit large in diameter so the loss of it may actually forced you into a better direction--seriously. What remains is a good tree.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Assuming that the entire lower branch is gone and nature gives you lemons you make lemonade. Actually in the earlier pictures the lower branch seems a bit large in diameter so the loss of it may actually forced you into a better direction--seriously. What remains is a good tree.

The branch was indeed a bit too 'heavy' in the design. This certainly opens up new possibilities!

Top Bottom