Mugo roots not happy at all

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The other day I decided to slip my tiny mug out of the original pot to get a glimpse of the roots, to my surprise i only seen a handful of live roots on the perimeter.
The top half seems to be chugging along with no obvious signs of poor health. Health wise what are your thoughts on this guy? 20190411_134248.jpg20190411_134324.jpg20190411_134234.jpg20190411_134714.jpg

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pretty typical of peat based soils. I see quite a lot of growing tips though, you likely caught it in time if you repot into better soil. Look up half bare root.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
organic soil to the max. maybe a repot in summer is in order as they like that at that time of year. idk how it will fair in a 9a zone CA. I do not have a mugo yet.

GOOD LUCK MATE

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Without more photos it is not possible to really tell but it looks healthy and the roots look active. I don't think you have a problem. Don't over water but don't keep it dry either.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you keep digging into the core.....

You Will likely find a smaller square of roots, plug size...3x3 ish..

These first year root masses seem to make a "shin" (the beating heart) of sorts, albeit super fucked up for shallow potting or bonsai in some cases, that inner inner can be all that is needed to keep a tree alive.

At least the ones I took back to said rectangle or less are still well.

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What makes you think I have not??? Your remark has a touch of anger to it, did I say something that pissed you off??
Nope. Nothing at all like that.
It seemed that you may not have ever bare rooted a mugo after Father's Day, so I just meant a kind jab, like drinking buddies. But we aren't drinking buddies, so I apologize for being presumptuous.

I've done this with every mugo I've brought home from a garden center nursery and it has always gone swimmingly. I've done it with many other species I brought home from a garden center and it has gone swimmingly with all but p. thunbergii, p. densiflora, and tsuga canadensis. With these, full bare root = death, so I half bare root them (sometimes HBR in spring 'as buds swell' and a second HBR around August). However, with well over 100 trees already crammed into my very small back yard, I'm no longer bringing much home from the garden center with which I could expand my database.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well I am not master in the field of bonsai, but i think pine needs well drained soil. Pretty sure that soil doesn't look very good when it comes to drain.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It drains very well
Add more coarse particles in the soil. I was suffering from the same problem with my pine (Pinus Roxburghii). When i added crushed red bricks chunks (as bonsai soil is not available in my region) in the potting soil, i was amazed to see the growth of roots in the pot. Lots of white feeder roots began to flourish. Hope you could give it a try and then share your results.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine I would be looking to get it into a colander.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nope. Nothing at all like that.
It seemed that you may not have ever bare rooted a mugo after Father's Day, so I just meant a kind jab, like drinking buddies. But we aren't drinking buddies, so I apologize for being presumptuous.

I've done this with every mugo I've brought home from a garden center nursery and it has always gone swimmingly. I've done it with many other species I brought home from a garden center and it has gone swimmingly with all but p. thunbergii, p. densiflora, and tsuga canadensis. With these, full bare root = death, so I half bare root them (sometimes HBR in spring 'as buds swell' and a second HBR around August). However, with well over 100 trees already crammed into my very small back yard, I'm no longer bringing much home from the garden center with which I could expand my database.
I would love to see some of those Mugos if you do not mind. I am always excited to see how others are doing with their Mugos. Please, please, please,--- seriously.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The other day I decided to slip my tiny mug out of the original pot to get a glimpse of the roots, to my surprise i only seen a handful of live roots on the perimeter.
The top half seems to be chugging along with no obvious signs of poor health. Health wise what are your thoughts on this guy? View attachment 238201View attachment 238202View attachment 238204View attachment 238205
Seriously there are a ton of living roots, you don't seem to recognize them as they are just waking up. This tree was probably potted up into a larger container, and a larger price scale, sometimes in the last two years. It is just now filling the container with roots.

Top Bottom