Mugo sale. Gonna go broke

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Had some beasts on sale at HD. HAD TO. Take a look. I will be doing some work on them but not much for now. Check it out. Might use them as some practice/ experiment of summer repot vs spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 175

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The ones at my HD have 18” shoots and are clumps…. It’s hard to find a good mugo here. Those are nice

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have found digging deeper in the pots that sometimes the clumps actually turn out OK. I have noticed that a lot of times with Mugos they bury them extremely deep in the pot so you can’t really get a feel for it until you really get the top layer off. But these ones seem like good practice well see

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve been wanting a mugo. I’ve only found them by the near by nursery but they are a bit pricey there. I was going to wait for their fall sale. Maybe I’ll have to check out Home Depot!

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Picked this guy up for 10 bucks today

It’s hard to get a good pic. It’s about 3 inches at the base which is much for many people but for me it is! Especially for 10 bucks.

I am going to start it’s own thread

Attachments

• 5E63A4F9-0562-4DA7-B68D-58E266E29BC4.jpeg
    5E63A4F9-0562-4DA7-B68D-58E266E29BC4.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Went to Home Depot and no luck on any mugos between two locations. Instead I settled for a half price white cedar. There are several very large ones in the park nearby that I always appreciate. I hope this little guy can bring me similar joy.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
dang I just went back and they had more. Some even nicer. I’ll have to post an update on my favorite one soon. It’s gets better and better the more I look at it

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s hard to tell in the picture but it’s got good movement right to left and just a fat stout trunk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 94

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Went to Home Depot and no luck on any mugos between two locations. Instead I settled for a half price white cedar. There are several very large ones in the park nearby that I always appreciate. I hope this little guy can bring me similar joy.
I have trouble justifying a White Cedar in stead of a Mugo. It's kind of like the guy who went to the butcher shop and noticed something interesting in the display. Upon asking the butcher what it was he was informed it was a cow's tongue. The guy replied, horrified "I could never eat anything that had been in a cow's mouth,----give me a dozen eggs".

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Vance Wood think with the work that I have done on this one that it should pull through? I did do the repot but didn’t really root prune and took off 3 branches (roughly 1/5 the foliage) I won’t touch it again until next July where I may do another large branch depending on vigor

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Was hoping to get to HD soon to see if ours is doing a mugo sale, but I found that my Mondel pine is starting to brown. I think it’s just too hot to try pines here. Was 110 yesterday. Maybe needs sun protection

Almost lost my mulberry, lost 2 mesquite saplings, and now prob lost my Mondel. I need to get misters set up…

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have trouble justifying a White Cedar in stead of a Mugo. It's kind of like the guy who went to the butcher shop and noticed something interesting in the display. Upon asking the butcher what it was he was informed it was a cow's tongue. The guy replied, horrified "I could never eat anything that had been in a cow's mouth,----give me a dozen eggs".
You will be happy to know my wife squired a mugo pine for me this week. It’s so large and bushy I’m not quite sure where to start. I’m going to comb through the resource section of your acquired knowledge on mugo pines before diving into anything.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ask and you shall receive. She bought the healthier of the two large ones. There were a handful of smaller mugo apparently so I might go back and look at those this weekend.7CA7762A-EB65-4528-BA96-D145BFACA845.jpeg61D34E5D-DF91-471A-8176-00288ED02AFF.jpegC40E4D39-A1E9-4C8C-B30E-0AD2DCD31AE3.jpeg

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Heck ya dig down on that puppy a little bit. Those are how mine looked. The ones I found are good trunks. Id go back and get a few. They seem really healthy.
I’m tempted to get more but I have about 100 seedlings and about 7 old Mugos so I should probably not haha but you can’t beat 75% off

Top Bottom