Mugo vs.J.B.P.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some species may have a wider adaptability than others, but why swim against the stream? Work with something that likes your climate.

.. probably the soundest advice given, and something that has been discussed for years. If the nurseries do not carry them it is usually for a reason, as nurseries will only carry what thrives in their particular climate. I would love to own a Shimpaku, can't get my hands on one, but they do sell JBPs :( on the other hand Hinokis, boxwoods and cotoneasters grow like weeds in my climate. Therefore, after all my experimenting I have come to the resolve I will swim with the current:)

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
If I couldn't keep JBP and Shimpaku, I would probably not do bonsai.

Harry

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like pine trees they rank as one of my favorite all around trees. Someday I hope to purchase one for bonsai. The question I have is what is the general opinion of which of these two makes the best bonsai and which one is the easiest to grow and care for Mugo pine or Japanese Black pine? I have never had one of these I would just like opinions of which one to start with.

The answers to this question just show that the question only makes sense when it refers to species that do equally well in a specific climate. People's answers will be biased towards the species that they have success with.

With regards to JBP vs. Mugo, the question is moot, since you cannot grow them side by side, and have them equally happy. One of them will have the climate on its side, and it will be an unfair competition. In So. California, JBP wins by knockout, the Mugo doesn't have a chance. In Europe, of course, the JBP has no chance, except in the Mediterranean climate, where they do exceptionally well.

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Here in NW Oregon we are the nursery capital of America for the most part. Millions of mugos are grown here as well as millions of JBP. Mugos grow slow compared to JBP, anywhere you are this is the way it is. By nature, a mugo will put on 6" of growth in a year if you are lucky, whereas the JBP will put on several feet in one year. This is with both trees in the ground and established.

If I had to choose a species of the 2 to play with it would depend on where I lived. If I lived in Japan I would play with JBP, if I lived in Europe I would be playing with yamadori mugo and since I live in America I will play with Ponderosa, Lodgepole and field grown JBP and Scots.

Both trees will reduce needles nicely and get really small. By nature mugo has a smaller needle but you can reduce JBP needles much further then mugo and almost get jbp needles as small as mugo needles. It is all based on technique. The difference between the 2 needle lengths is not enough to make a big deal over, really. I have seen JBP needles reduce smaller then Mugo just like Chris mentions.

At the end of the day, Europe has the best mugos and Japan has the best JBP. Nursery Mugos, or American mugos dont' even begin to compare with mugos in Europe..... Then there is the bark comparisons...again JBP smokes the mugho here......

Jason

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If I had to choose a species of the 2 to play with it would depend on where I lived. If I lived in Japan I would play with JBP, if I lived in Europe I would be playing with yamadori mugo and since I live in America I will play with Ponderosa, Lodgepole and field grown JBP and Scots.
Jason

Yes, I agree with Jason, the species that is available to you locally for collection is the best species to use. In the US this could also be any number of other pine species. Ponderosa is a proven survivor in a pot, Lodgepole too. Jack pine in the north is something that people seem to have difficulty with but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying. Do be cautious though of species that are disease prone. In Northern California there are fire pines (radiata, muricata, attenuata) which are good bonsai subjects except that they are currently being wiped out by pine pitch canker....full size trees or bonsai, they all seem to be dying.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score

Must be nice to live in a special place in America where you can have all of them. For some of us P. thunbergii is the only choice.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Must be nice to live in a special place in America where you can have all of them. For some of us P. thunbergii is the only choice.

Graydon, for the right price I can find you some wonderful land out here on the Left coast....then you too can have them ALL!!!! :D:D:D

Jason

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Graydon, for the right price I can find you some wonderful land out here on the Left coast....then you too can have them ALL!!!! :D:D:D

Jason

Not a bad idea. Give me a bit more time here to suffer thru swelteringly hot summers, warm winters and too much rainfall and I will think about it. I do believe I would miss the hick population. Not sure I could go a day without seeing a confederate flag sticker on an old pick up truck - all the more reason to move. Believe me the trees would be a bonus.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I forgot about Oregon, the only place on the Planet where the two species can grow side by side..it must be on the coast though. In the Oregon mountains, JBP doesn't have much chance against the Mugo.

Top Bottom