Mugo

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I definitely wish I'd taken a before picture of this one. I'd found it last summer at a mom and pop place that was clearing out some stuff that'd been sitting for a long time. Totally ignored till this week when I took it with me to visit a knowledgeable guy who's been very helpful. First time I'd used anything as big as #8 copper, pretty ugly wiring even with some very experienced help.

There's definitely a couple places it'd be possible to shorten it up but I'm pretty happy with where we ended up. I'm pretty biased because I keep remembering what we started with though so any comments welcome. Basically, does it work?

Attachments

• Mugo1.jpg
    Mugo1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Mugo2.jpg
    Mugo2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 81

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I suspect you did as much as the tree's health could stand in one session.

If you'd like to post a virt of how you want to see it eventually, it would help others offer any advice.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I definitely wish I'd taken a before picture of this one. I'd found it last summer at a mom and pop place that was clearing out some stuff that'd been sitting for a long time. Totally ignored till this week when I took it with me to visit a knowledgeable guy who's been very helpful. First time I'd used anything as big as #8 copper, pretty ugly wiring even with some very experienced help.

There's definitely a couple places it'd be possible to shorten it up but I'm pretty happy with where we ended up. I'm pretty biased because I keep remembering what we started with though so any comments welcome. Basically, does it work?

I like it. I know a little about Mugos so I would like to offer a tad bit of advice. Watch your wiring closely. Mugos develop quickly this time of year and the wire may cut into the bark much quicker than you might think. If this happens on the trunk you are going to be waiting some time for the scars to disappear.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Treebeard,
No good with virts but at the moment I like the general outline. The former trunk (now subtrunk, first branch, whatever) could probably be shortened quite a bit and I'll need to get some lateral movement wired in.

Vance,
Much appreciated. I tend to think pretty long term with wire on pines so I could definitely screw it up (worse?) if I don't keep a closer eye on it than I nomally would.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Treebeard,
No good with virts but at the moment I like the general outline. The former trunk (now subtrunk, first branch, whatever) could probably be shortened quite a bit and I'll need to get some lateral movement wired in.

Vance,
Much appreciated. I tend to think pretty long term with wire on pines so I could definitely screw it up (worse?) if I don't keep a closer eye on it than I nomally would.

This tree looks pretty healthy and vigorous and not all that old so it is likely to grow a lot this summer. You should look at it carefully at least once every week, cutting can happen pretty quick. I know this because I have had to deal with the problem on a couple of pretty nice trees.

Top Bottom