Mulberry Bonsai?

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was clearing out some overgrown yews and boxwoods in my yard and found that some mulberry trees had planted themselves some time ago. One of them got a hefty trunk chop on the way to me getting rid of it and then I decided to simply keep this one and maybe try to develop it into a bonsai. The trunk is around 10" in circumference and there's some decent nebari going on all around. Anyone have experience with white non-flowering mulberries as bonsai?

After trying and failing to kill its sister tree, I can attest that this is one hardy tree and would probably survive nuclear fallout. But will the leaves reduce in size?

Attachments

• mulberry.jpg
    mulberry.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 21

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, with ramification, leaves will reduce, about one inch is reasonable. Key is ramification. At least 3 degrees, trunk, branch, branch, branch, then leaf, this will be nicely reduced, maybe one inch. Will never get much smaller than an inch, but that's "good enough" for most styles and sizes of bonsai.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One inch is more than good enough, especially given the large size this bonsai will likely be.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. We need to have your info on every post, or you’ll be asked over and over. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a few mulberries and they do grow well. The leaves reduce to about 1" as others have said. I find the branches take a while to bulk up. They'll grow long and vigorous, but it takes a few years to build size and taper. One with long, spidly branches had just a few ratty looking leaves left so I just went ahead and did my "winter" pruning. Danged if it didn't leaf out again. Tough customers.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One of the most flexible and forgiving trees for bonsai, and a member of the same family as figs. Many that are found in the landscape as weeds are crosses between the native Red and the Chinese White that is the weeping tree common in the north. I use them in all sizes from accents...
Accents AVC naMy a, b, & c 2021_1005 SQ.jpg
...To small ~shohin~ trees ...
My S 1, 2, & 3 2021_0918 hedged.jpg
My S 4 2021_0918 hedged.jpg
...To full sized about 18" tall...
MyL 2020_0803 Edit.JPG
They tolerate root work well, small, low pots, and better than that are free thanks to your feathered friends!

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have one that I started as a cutting in a Rotting log this year (the famous Root through Rot style). It’s almost an inch thick already and has been cut back every time it gets big enough to get in the way. I cut a branch off recently, it grew back and flowered. That one is a red mulberry, but I do have a couple of whites as well. They are nowhere near as hardy or fast growing, only about three times as tough and as fast as other trees. 😉

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I love the juvenile to mature leaf shapes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have one I collected in spring. Horrible collection. Got 2 roots

It done well since and a little digging shows it’s put out a bunch of roots

Trunk is only 1 1/4” in diameter

I may attempt an air layer next year

Top Bottom