mulberry collected

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had this mulberry along the fenceline that I'd keep cutting back, and decided last fall to collect it this spring, as we're redoing the fence this year. I trenched, and added turface around the roots. Just dug it up, here it is. I am not terribly concerned about the lack of smaller roots, as anyone who has mulberrys on their property knows, they are extremely hard to kill. The roots will sprout, and sprout...

Anyway it was going to have to go for the fence, so guess we'll see.
It's a monster! 6"-8" base and 20" tall.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 275

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
It is impressive and looks like a good project. Your well placed cuts have given it good taper. When I was a kid living in Southern MN we had a mulberry tree in our yard that grew out of a spit in a huge rock. It was dwarfed somewhat by this. I always fondly remember it and have thought it would be nice to have a rememberance Mulberry to tinker with.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is exactly why I'm working with this tree, we plan to move to Colorado in 5 years, and I'm working on collecting some of the trees from around here to have there. We live on an old dairy farm, and the silk worm scheme was a big sell to dairy farmers way back when for their hilly spots. So we have plenty of em... Most are multi trunked, and super fat. I want to remember our Mulberrys with this one. If you want a fat start to work with, I'd be thrilled to send you one.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Geesh your too sweet but I would not want you bustin your back to do this Miss J. Hopefully your mulberry will be a great memory tree of your midwest farm country days. I am anxious to see it bud out. Here in MN it just snowed 9 inches--boo-hiss.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
i remeber the ones that grew in my yard as a kid and we use to eat the berries from them so when i moved here i had one growing in the yard and i dug it up last year ill post pics later

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Great stuff Judy!
That looks like it will sure keep you occupied for a few years. I've started cutting one back myself, damn birds sprinkle those seeds everywhere!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice trunk. My good bonsai friend in IA has two prized mulberries that have been nothing but a treat for him for nearly 20 years They even grow mulberries for him to munch on when he's out watering!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
AWESOME. I know you'll do this one justice. There is a mulberry in the REBS club that is spectacular, and the fruit tastes pretty darn good too!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone, I hope mine has berries someday, it'll remind me of here and now.

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any updates on this one now that it should have some leaves and possibly berries?!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Judy, yours looks about the same as one that took me two years to kill. I did a 6 to 8" bark removal, then poured on the brush killer, it came back, one more year was all it could take though. I did mine in because it was at the end of two driveways, and you know how much the birds like those berries, and how heavy the crops can be. It was just too big of a mess, had it been in the back of the yard it would still be there.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got caught up with brushing out wild honeysuckles today during my time off... The scourge of central Ohio. They are taking over everything!
But I promise a new pic tomorrow Matt.

Bill, I know how it is, I chop and chop and chop seedlings every year. I have one that I've been mowing, that has set up a whole ground cluster off roots that's about 3' wide now. It keeps spreading and I keep mowing...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Carefull Judy, you will find yourself the new pioneer, doing demos on stage with a mower.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
oooooo, that sound like it'd be right up my alley! That thing would probably make a really interesting forest raft....

Here are todays pics of my mulberry, I'll be looking to wire the shoots as soon as I can. But gotta go send more honeysuckles to their maker first....

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Any progress to report from this one? I got a mulberry myself and I'd love to see some progressions. Despite being, in theory, easy and nearly indistructable, there are not as many mulberry bonsai out there as I would like for inspiration

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How are everyone's mulberry doing. I was leaf pruning and a little wire this morning. The heat has me watering twice a day to keep it from wilting. may do a little carving this winter to improve the upper taper.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How are everyone's mulberry doing. I was leaf pruning and a little wire this morning. The heat has me watering twice a day to keep it from wilting. may do a little carving this winter to improve the upper taper.

They have been known to rot, so seal those carves well.

Top Bottom