Mulberry soil - how much of an organic component?

MinnesotaKirk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Does anyone have any experience with Mulberry and what type of soil would be appropriate? I imagine they would need a higher organic component than a conifer. I have a soil mix that is about 8% organic with the rest being primarily hydrocks (calcined clay) but I'm thinking that is too low of an organic percentage and I would have to add something to the mix. Anyone have any thoughts?

~Kirk

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Soil mix is one of the most debated issue in bonsai...for a good reason.

It depends on lots of parameters...not just your location or tree species. Size of tree vs pot (soil volume), your watering style/frequency, amount of light the tree gets, amount of foliage, root health, wind, humidity, temperature, etc. What works for your neighbor may not for you just because of the orientation you place it.

Sorry...not meaning to be negative, just a reality check. For me, I try to have a balance organic and inorganic content on my mix for all my trees...because of TX heat. Yours will definitely be different.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MinnesotaKirk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thank you Dario. I should have given more info of course.

I am looking to transplant a tree into a grow box. The box will be about 20x24 inches and about 8 inches deep. This is a large tree, about 36 inches high and has been chopped back so there is no foliage yet.

~Kirk

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Dario. I should have given more info of course.

I am looking to transplant a tree into a grow box. The box will be about 20x24 inches and about 8 inches deep. This is a large tree, about 36 inches high and has been chopped back so there is no foliage yet.

~Kirk

As a fellow Minnesotan I can tell you I use a mix of three parts granite, two parts haydite(lava rock), two parts pine bark for a tree like your Mulberry.

For reference my pine mix is 3 granite, 1 haydite, 1 pine bark

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you look at where mullberry grow in nature, I think you'd come to the conclusion that they don't give a hoot what kind of soil they're in. So, whateveryou'vegot will do.

MinnesotaKirk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thank you fourteener. Of course there are lots if thoughts on soil but this gives me a good starting point. Hopefully I'll be able to start a thread on the tree one I get it into the grow box.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I grow mulberry very successfully in 100% inorganic.2 parts akadama:1 parts lava(scoria):1 parts pumice i throw in a little granite(<5%) and a little charcoal (1-2%)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one in a training box with 80/20 turface/bark. But I really don't think they care what they are in, as jkl said. They are like very large weeds.....

Top Bottom