Mulberry trunk

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had this for over a year now and I'm still not sure what I want to do with it. The sideways trunk has a dead core inside it where it grew back around its own dead trunk, and I was thinking about trying to hollow that out. Aside from that I'm not sure.

20210707_110453.jpg

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah! I kinda wanted to do something almost exactly like the top picture, but I wasn't sure if the cut ends would work out.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like those designs. I think the main things to attend to are the directional movement, set by the lower sub-trunk - the main apex then arches over the sub-trunk. Similar to mother-daughter designs except the sub-trunk isn't right at the base like most twin trunk trees.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah! I kinda wanted to do something almost exactly like the top picture, but I wasn't sure if the cut ends would work out.
That seems like a good direction. My suggestion would be to carve the transitions now to start the tapering process. I would also tip the tree over to the right at the next repotting to get away from the horizontal and vertical trunk lines. It's got the makings of an awesome tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BobbyLane got a billion photos in his head!
I will never stop admiring this skill!

I don't think you should hollow it out.

I think you should layer it where the high roots are, or higher, because leaving em as is, is going to add to the reverse taper it already has, and lifting it up can't be as good as what you can achieve growing new roots.

I reckon you can make that top tree, but all those clustered shoots are going to make it less and less convincing.
Try to figure out how those good thick shoots grew, cut timing, elimination of competition, etc. You really have to stay on top of these or those knots get nasty.

Me and the boy must have eaten mulberries off of about 20 trees over the last couple weekends.
Fire.

Sorce

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@BobbyLane got a billion photos in his head!
I will never stop admiring this skill!

I don't think you should hollow it out.

I think you should layer it where the high roots are, or higher, because leaving em as is, is going to add to the reverse taper it already has, and lifting it up can't be as good as what you can achieve growing new roots.

I reckon you can make that top tree, but all those clustered shoots are going to make it less and less convincing.
Try to figure out how those good thick shoots grew, cut timing, elimination of competition, etc. You really have to stay on top of these or those knots get nasty.

Me and the boy must have eaten mulberries off of about 20 trees over the last couple weekends.
Fire.

Sorce
If I want to layer it, can I use a piece of wire, or do I need to cut it? Can I do it now?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I want to layer it, can I use a piece of wire, or do I need to cut it? Can I do it now?

I find cutting it to be more difficult (read, not that difficult) but can produce better results.

I used a thick "zip tie" meant for securing large flexible ducting to cinch a couple in the old yard and they produced a ton of roots, but I never dug them up to see see.

I have some documentation here on it I think, but it's lost, maybe searchable.

I'd do it early spring.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would not layer it. Mulberry is easy enough to find. If you want more mulberry, just look around fences, alleys, untended yards, they are everywhere in urban and suburban landscapes.

I like Bobby Lane's suggestions. I'd use most of what you have there. Making it hollow I'd save for a couple years down the road.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not layer it. Mulberry is easy enough to find. If you want more mulberry, just look around fences, alleys, untended yards, they are everywhere in urban and suburban landscapes.

I like Bobby Lane's suggestions. I'd use most of what you have there. Making it hollow I'd save for a couple years down the road.
Yeah, I think sorce is talking about a root layer to get higher roots. At least that's how I understood it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
do you like rafts? ever thought about slanting it steep left and making a raft from it, thats another idea

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
do you like rafts? ever thought about slanting it steep left and making a raft from it, thats another idea
That's what I originally wanted to do when I pulled it out of the ground. It used to have a much longer branch sticking straight out to the left, but I was suggested to cut it off...

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
20210707_110453.jpg

saw a couple in park today

yes raft will make use of the poor base and give you a nice zig zag raft rather than a straight flat one

Attachments

• 20210721_144104.jpg
    20210721_144104.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210721_140852.jpg
    20210721_140852.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom