Mulberry volunteers, best for beginners...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's a volunteer about 3 seasons old when dug with the horseradish this spring. It's 8 or 9 inches and budding out all over with a 3-bud array at each node. I choose to save the buds that point in the best direction and remove all others to encourage buds elsewhere. It's working...
My 2021_0406 & 0414 1st buds & ready.JPG
I hang earrings made of coiled wire to weigh down the soft green twigs early in the process. The wire size and length allow perfect the weight for each and can be moved around easily as the twigs grow, sometimes every other day or so. I don't let anything grow that is not part of the ultimate design of informal upright. Regular wiring will take over when the twigs get woody. All the early branches will be lower branches and be horizontal. When they are all heavy enough a rounded crown will be grown.
My 2021_0414 earrings.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update after two more days...
20210417_143718.jpg
20210417_143725.jpg
Still looks like a dumb system, but you can see it works and all these branches can be grown out some distance and only tiny buds have been discarded. Waste not, want not!

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How long did it take to bud? I dug up a large yamadori mulberry and I have not seen any buds yet.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Mulberries are in my top 3 or 4 bonsai species. They grow FAST. I normally let them grow almost untouched for half of the first summer. More shoots means more roots in less time which leads to a healthier tree sooner. Your system looks like it's working fine, though, so keep it up!

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's my big mulberry. Not sure if I'm going to cut it any shorter or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_180237978_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210410_180237978_HDR.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 19

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I should have added this...
Mul 2021_0421 unwire.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
More growth, and predictably heavier on the upper branches...
mul 2021_0430 to edit.JPG
So, trimmed the upper lots and none on the lowers...
Mul 2021_0430 edited.JPG
Will go outdoors tomorrow.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine I'd finally starting to bud out. Wondering if I should throw it in a small greenhouse. My dad just gave my a small one he picked up at Aldi.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No, leave it out and enjoy a really tough tree.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No, leave it out and enjoy a really tough tree.
By bud I mean the first starting points for branches. Mine was dug up a little late in just excited to see it's fighting. Unfortunately My american hornbeam I dug up around the same time has not shown any life yet. That the only one I really want to make sure lives.

Our weather has been all over. 40 one day 90 a couple days later then back to 30 two or three days later so between that and my rookie ability digging things up I was worried about the trees. Really hoping the hornbeam makes is.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_193845304.jpg
    IMG_20210418_193845304.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 11

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
By bud I mean the first starting points for branches. Mine was dug up a little late in just excited to see it's fighting. Unfortunately My american hornbeam I dug up around the same time has not shown any life yet. That the only one I really want to make sure lives.

Our weather has been all over. 40 one day 90 a couple days later then back to 30 two or three days later so between that and my rookie ability digging things up I was worried about the trees. Really hoping the hornbeam makes is.
You've done all the normal stuff, now let the trees do the work they have to do recombobulting the balance between roots and sun gathering equipment. Partial sun and no drought is all they need until they show enough growth to increase sun.

Top Bottom