Multi level flat top raintree

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't have much to start with but in a couple of years it should look ok.
This was taken on 7/5\16. Pretty crappy little tree. Pretty much a mess at first.
20160705_140245.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About a month after the wiring and needed removed. Cleaned up some of the stubs left for die back and added a little more wire then moved some things around. Getting there slowly.
20170624_124221.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool, will look nice once it fills in more. I think I would aim for less separation between the levels in the long run.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good so far! Seems these grow so fast it might not be as slow as you think! What happened to the thorns? :eek:

Grimmy
Between the fast grow rate and up potting each year it should develop pretty fast. Need to cut those monster thorns off.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A lot of progress in a short time!

I'm struggling a little bit with your design for a few reasons. First, flat-topped African trees don't generally have lower branches - because one of the main reasons why they grow the way they do is the lower branches get eaten away by animals. Second, they don't typically grow straight up, then straight out - they broom outward from the upper half of the trunk. Finally, they are almost never truly "flat". They almost always have a slightly rounded canopy. I've included a few examples of what I am talking about:

african-tree.jpg

flattopacacia.jpg

Acacia A.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I'm struggling a little bit with your design for a few reasons. First, flat-topped African trees don't generally have lower branches - because one of the main reasons why they grow the way they do is the lower branches get eaten away by animals. Second, they don't typically grow straight up, then straight out - they broom outward from the upper half of the trunk. Finally, they are almost never truly "flat". They almost always have a slightly rounded canopy. I've included a few examples of what I am talking about:

View attachment 156267

View attachment 156271

View attachment 156272
Yes most everyone does the domed flat top like you see in the wild. Once the branch structure is done on the top I could clip and grow the top into a dome style. May be a possibility. I could keep my other flat top flat like I want it and maybe dome this one and chew off the lower branches. Mite look pretty interesting and a bit different from my other one. My other one has the branch structure already and would be simple to dome it. Time will tell.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 156267

View attachment 156271

View attachment 156272
Ok Mr @Bonsai Nut. Pulled the outer edge of the top to start curving it down and will clip and grow it into a dome shape. Wildlife ate the lower leaves and limbs off.
20170810_135607 (Small).jpg
20170810_135545 (Small).jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi c54, I'm playing with one Italian stone pine to achieve a flat top style and can tell you it's not so easy. Something bothered me looking at your tree and the admin named it. The tops were really too flat, more like pine branch storeys, look at a branch structure below the foliage of trees posted by admin. They grow to the width and are raising with foliage only at the top. Pushing the branches down shouldn't be a problem, but I'd let some grow upwards too. Just my 2 eurocents.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How do these respond to bonsai techniques? Your threads have really tempted me to pick myself up one.

Do they tolerate root pruning and do they backbud? They root well from cuttings?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do these respond to bonsai techniques? Your threads have really tempted me to pick myself up one.

Do they tolerate root pruning and do they backbud? They root well from cuttings?

I've never played with cuttings. They back bud great. They can fill a pot full of roots in a year. No problem on root pruning. Lot of people talk about "needs more taper". Rain trees don't have your typical trunk. They are funky and can flatten out and have crazy changing angles but usually not a bunch of taper like everyone wants. A flat top takes lots and lots of work to keep it looking nice. Things people mention like seeing the branch structure with foliage on the top takes years and years to establish. Been working my other tree for four years and is just now starting to show branch structure. The tree in this thread been worked for only one year. The regular tree looking type are much easier to maintain. Let them grow out then trim. Branches are best set when green but will still be pretty flexible bigger. Some people think a raintree should look like a raintree and other are ok with a raintree looking like a bonsai. Your choice. The bark is super thin and makes for wiring problems. They grow fast and wire will dig in fast. Thorns everywhere. Wiring around the delicate stems and leaves is tricky.

I think they are an awesome tree to work with. Flat tops take a lot of work then lots of work to maintain. Clip and grow is simple and easy to maintain.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I love your fence!

You see that little tuft in the middle pic Bnut posted?
The one directly above the trunk.

Actually that whole pic is what I'd shoot for....

Slightly rounded...

With that subtle higher variation...

With that low branch gone, seems to need a wider canopy...and dare I say....a thicker trunk?

Nah....Giraffes.!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is the tree behind and to the right in post 27 please? That is a nice looking tree...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love your fence!

You see that little tuft in the middle pic Bnut posted?
The one directly above the trunk.

Actually that whole pic is what I'd shoot for....

Slightly rounded...

With that subtle higher variation...

With that low branch gone, seems to need a wider canopy...and dare I say....a thicker trunk?

Nah....Giraffes.!

Sorce
I'm glad @Bonsai Nut posted those pictures.Thank's. I just recently cut the top back. Wish I hadn't now. The biggest problem in making the tree look like the real ones is nature some how keeps the ends of the branches growing out and the tree as a whole goes up. On my other tree if there is not wire on the ends of the branches it will grow up pretty fast. Like a 45 degree turn up. That would mean lots and lots of wiring to keep it from going up. Would be a lot of work and needs to have wire on the ends pretty much all the time. Would look pretty cool though. For sure needs wider canopy without the lower branches. Shame I just cut the top back some. Was out growing the lower. I think keeping wire on, it in about 3 years it could look pretty good. Way to small to start with to get a big trunk most likely.

Top Bottom