Multi level flat top raintree

Random User

Reaction score
I'd warn people away from "dunk watering" on a mass scale with BRTs until they have tried it out and haven't seen the results that I have... however, it could also have been pure coincidence that the trees were heading into a rest period or some funk because of something else I did.

Sphagnum does not work well here, because all the birds (Robins in particular) will steal the moss to line their nest with... the best thing that I've found is cocoa coir, but the only draw back with it is that once it has dried out, it will shed water like a duck's ass... the way to get around this is give the tree a quick watering to get the cocoa wet, and by the time I've wetted all the trees, I go back around and do the true watering. It's surprisingly suitable for this purpose, even the high Prairie winds don't seem to dislodge it after it's been in place and dried from the first watering... and all I do is wet it and peel it off before I do any transplanting etc... I suppose a leaf blower or vacuum would work equally well. It's reasonably cheap and seems to work really well with trees that prefer to be humid or more on the wettish side... like White Elm, birch, and even a mugo pine tend to like it.... the larch seem to love it.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It is looking really good. I wasn't real sure on page one but it is really looking nice.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I didn't have a clue on what to do with it at first. Welcome to bonsai nut :)

Top Bottom