Multi-trunk black pine

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
LOL John....could you do it with Will's virt now? :)

Ok Tachigi don't laugh. Do you think this is feasible in five years or so? Using Wills virt.
It only took me 3/4 of a bottle ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 37

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you think this is feasible in five years or so? Using Wills virt.

WOW, I wasn't wild about this tree when this thread started, but the more virtual refinement thats put on it the more I like it. Very nice job John. If you still have a 1/4 bottle left I think its our duty to find something to add so it doesn't go to waste. ;)

Do I think this is feasible in 5 years, using Will's virt?! I'm not sure I have only successfully air layered 5 or 6 JBP, so I'm no expert. That aside, it may be possible. I have done bigger projects with grafting and nebari enhancement in about the same time. 5 ,6, or 8 years it would be a worthy project to pursue.

I have one problem with this tree and nobody mentioned it so for a while I thought it was just me. Does this tree ,from the original pictures, look like it has reverse taper on the center trunk? Maybe its just my poor ole eyes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one problem with this tree and nobody mentioned it so for a while I thought it was just me. Does this tree ,from the original pictures, look like it has reverse taper on the center trunk? Maybe its just my poor ole eyes.

It's nearly impossible to tell from this photo, but even if it does, it's the least of this tree's problems. Virts are so much easier than real trees, aren't they?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Virts are so much easier than real trees, aren't they?
Easier in the sense that you can create in a few minutes what may take years to accomplish on an actual tree, however, a knowledge of horticultural possibilities, as well as an eye for design is not only what makes a virt good (meaning doable) but also what makes a bonsai good. But it is more difficult than it looks, there are many who can not do a basic virtual.

Many artist now regularly photograph their trees and use the photograph to not only see any design flaws they missed but also to virtually "try out" an idea before making irreversible decisions. It is also useful for trying on that new pot you're thinking of buying.

The computer is well known as a design tool in many other enterprises, it should be no surprise that its use as a tool for designing bonsai is being recognized world-wide. What virtuals have done for me personally is allowed me to quickly see possibilities that many do not. This carries over to my own bonsai and has helped me in the few demos that I have given tremendously.

For those interested in learning how...

http://www.artofbonsai.org/tutorials/photoshop_pot.php

http://www.artofbonsai.org/tutorials/photoshop_virt.php

Will

Last edited:

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Tachigi,
Yes I think there maybe a slight reverse taper right at the first whorl up the trunk and then again at the top. Good eye!

Virts are so much easier than real trees, aren't they?

Yes Chris they are now that I have been practicing. Wish trees were that easy. Be nice to have a time machine too ;) I get bored this time of year and I play with the virts to get better at it, just like bonsai, always learning something.

But like Will has mentioned,, photo editing software is a fantastic tool in styling your trees ahead of time. I just wish that one could rotate the trees. Working on just two planes does make it tough but it does give me an idea where I want to go since I can't draw worth a crap.

Nice virt, pass the bottle!

Will

Will,
I just may make it up to the Michigan show this year. If I do I will pass that bottle with you for sure ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wish that one could rotate the trees. Working on just two planes does make it tough but it does give me an idea where I want to go since I can't draw worth a crap.
Adobe allows one to do almost anything. http://knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=71 for those who don't have adobe, there are free programs that allows a three-dimensioanl view on-line. But don't get me started on three-dimensional bonsai ;)

I just may make it up to the Michigan show this year. If I do I will pass that bottle with you for sure ;)
Which show, the All State Show?

Will

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Ok while we are talking about virts and I really don't want to get off track from the tree mentioned but I just wanted to show you a tree I have been struggling with since 2001 and have almost gotten it to become a good bonsai.
I have gotten it to this point but it has become a bit boring now. I know it needs thinned out again. Do you all think that the foliage is to much? Is it starting to look like a Christmas tree?

I posted this tree on KoB along time back to get some suggestions on where to take this tree now and good ole Walter Pall did a fantastic virt for me.
I think that it definitely shows great age BUT my question is THIS,,"if this was your tree would you go for it"?
It is a hard thing to do when you work on a tree for so long and get it to a point thatyou are satisfied with it and you get accustomed to it but you know deep down that something needs to be done.
I still can't bring myself to go for it.
This is another part of bonsai that I need to learn and I am probably not the only one.

So what do you guys think??

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• blvt.jpg
    blvt.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 44

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Yea I know Will, Got to get to it and getter done.
Oh I have the cutters just saving up for a dagburn shapener :D ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
John, They both are good. The foliage pads fit the orginal image very well. They (IMO) don't fit the second image, to rounded and puffy (particularly the apex). for such a stark trunk. I'm sure this is obvious to most, thought I'd mention it since it was the first thing to jump out at me. Either way nice tree John.... I'll lend you my sharpener;)

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Which show, the All State Show?
Will
I believe it is the All State Show. I will have to check to make sure. A buddy of mine goes up every year and asked if I wanted to go up with him and I said I would if I can get away. I will let you know.

John.... I'll lend you my sharpener;)

Hey thanks Tom but I have this old rock out back that I can use kinda like the Indians did:eek:
Thanks for the kind words on this tree. I just can't bring myself to do it yet but hey some day who knows.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok while we are talking about virts and I really don't want to get off track from the tree mentioned but I just wanted to show you a tree I have been struggling with since 2001 and have almost gotten it to become a good bonsai.
I have gotten it to this point but it has become a bit boring now. I know it needs thinned out again. Do you all think that the foliage is to much? Is it starting to look like a Christmas tree?

I posted this tree on KoB along time back to get some suggestions on where to take this tree now and good ole Walter Pall did a fantastic virt for me.
I think that it definitely shows great age BUT my question is THIS,,"if this was your tree would you go for it"?
It is a hard thing to do when you work on a tree for so long and get it to a point thatyou are satisfied with it and you get accustomed to it but you know deep down that something needs to be done.
I still can't bring myself to go for it.
This is another part of bonsai that I need to learn and I am probably not the only one.

So what do you guys think??

A Friend in bonsai
John

Most of the time I find the Formal Upright the most boring of all the standardized forms in bonsai, mostly because it is usually done so badly. Your photo on the left is boring, your virtual on the right is a magnificent solution that could be done in a few hours if not minutes. That three is a killer.

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Most of the time I find the Formal Upright the most boring of all the standardized forms in bonsai, mostly because it is usually done so badly. Your photo on the left is boring, your virtual on the right is a magnificent solution that could be done in a few hours if not minutes. That three is a killer.

Yes Vance I will tend to agree with you on the informal upright. I worked on this tree to get it there then like you said it is boring me and starting to look like a Christmas tree. I should of put some ornaments on it this year :D
This is,, like I have mentioned earlier one of the toughest things in bonsai I need to learn, to restyle a tree after getting it to a certain point. Its like once I get it there (in my eyes) I just set it on the bench and move on to the next. I know one has to re evaluate their trees every now and then and do something about it. I know that the virt on this tree is very pleasing and eye catching. But why do I procrastinate. Can someone tell me?? So maybe the next time you see it, it will be done.
Oh I thought patience was the hardest thing to learn but I do believe I have learned patience very well because it seems I am not in any hurry to tackle this tree.;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes Vance I will tend to agree with you on the informal upright. I worked on this tree to get it there then like you said it is boring me and starting to look like a Christmas tree. I should of put some ornaments on it this year :D
This is,, like I have mentioned earlier one of the toughest things in bonsai I need to learn, to restyle a tree after getting it to a certain point. Its like once I get it there (in my eyes) I just set it on the bench and move on to the next. I know one has to re evaluate their trees every now and then and do something about it. I know that the virt on this tree is very pleasing and eye catching. But why do I procrastinate. Can someone tell me?? So maybe the next time you see it, it will be done.
Oh I thought patience was the hardest thing to learn but I do believe I have learned patience very well because it seems I am not in any hurry to tackle this tree.;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

John: There is a difference between patience and procrastination. If you do this tree as you have in the virtual you will have a top rated, dare I say it, world class bonsai. Bring it with you to the All State Show and lets talk about it. If this tree were mine I would do this in a heart beat. You could turn around and sell it for a bundle if you so desired.

Last edited:

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
John: There is a difference between patience and procrastination. If you do this tree as you have in the virtual you will have a top rated, dare I say it, world class bonsai. Bring it with you to the All State Show and lets talk about it. If this tree were mine I would do this in a heart beat. You could turn around and sell it for a bundle if you so desired.

Mr John,

In my opinion you would be hard pressed to find any better advice than you have been given by Mr. Walter and Mr. Vance...In its' current shape you have a very 'so-so' tree...A tree that looks ok, but NOT a tree that people will remember seeing, NOT a tree that evokes emotion, NOT a really 'old' looking tree, NOR a tree that really draws attention...But by spending a couple hours you could indeed have all the above...If this were my tree I would not hesitate making these changes, and would probably reduce the foliage even more than Mr. Walter did in the virt...Do not procrastinate any longer...Improve your tree...You will be so glad you did...

Regards
Behr

:D :D :D

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Vance and Behr,
You are right I have been a procrastinator but I go through this every now and then. I know that this tree is in need of a change for sure. That is why I have posted it a few times to talk myself into it ;)
This is one of my new year promises and I will get er done and post my results. I have been slowly working on this tree to get it ready for a change as per say.

Vance if I make it up I may just bring this tree along with me. I look forward to meeting you and Will both.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance and Behr,
You are right I have been a procrastinator but I go through this every now and then. I know that this tree is in need of a change for sure. That is why I have posted it a few times to talk myself into it ;)
This is one of my new year promises and I will get er done and post my results. I have been slowly working on this tree to get it ready for a change as per say.

Vance if I make it up I may just bring this tree along with me. I look forward to meeting you and Will both.

A Friend in bonsai
John

We are easily recognized. Both of us have two-heads breath fire and eat human flesh. In case someone takes offence that was a joke, good bad or indifferent. I know I look forward to meeting you as well. If you can come please bring this tree I would really like to see it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are easily recognized. Both of us have two-heads breath fire and eat human flesh. In case someone takes offence that was a joke, good bad or indifferent. I know I look forward to meeting you as well. If you can come please bring this tree I would really like to see it.

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;)

Will

Top Bottom