Multi Trunk JM 2019

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I couldn't leave this JM on the bench of the local Garden Center. Half price at Euro 25!
I'd like to ask your suggestions on where to cut the next Spring. I rough cut the longest branches, just to make it more compact but will not do any major cut now that Winter is at the door.
It will rest in peace and not being a cultivar, I trust it will make it through easily.
Thank you!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the taper in the trunk, I would consider growing with just the lower left branch, so removing the big trunk on the right completely just above soil level.. However, that has some off root coming off it. How is the rest of the roots?

you will probably have to remove it over time to avoid killing off the right hand side of the plant. Consider layering the right-hand side for the start of a twin trunk.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How large a tree do you envision?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you intend to use all 3 trunks, it's easiest to get them to the appropriate different thicknesses before cutting off anything.

I wouldn't cut it for a while.

Sorce

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you intend to use all 3 trunks, it's easiest to get them to the appropriate different thicknesses before cutting off anything.

Sorce
Technically, the sooner you cut ...at different heights, the sooner the thicknesses begin to change.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking at the taper in the trunk, I would consider growing with just the lower left branch, so removing the big trunk on the right completely just above soil level.. However, that has some off root coming off it. How is the rest of the roots?

you will probably have to remove it over time to avoid killing off the right hand side of the plant. Consider layering the right-hand side for the start of a twin trunk.
Thanks leatherback! I'd like to use all 3 trunks though...

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Sorce
Thanks Sorce. Below a rough image what I have in mind just to give you an idea of the size of the bonsai. There is still not enough taper.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is still not enough taper.

That's why I'd wait.
Seems an altogether girthing up could further provide a good spot to start a groundlayer as well. Redline, though a tilt left to use that baseline may work.Capture+_2019-11-21-10-55-16.png

Either way I'd be long gaming a plan to use these low nodes for taper chops.

The longer you keep your mind in "building phase" the better it'll end up.

Set a 30 year goal, and hope it's only 7!

You can't set a 7 year goal and it turns into 30, the tree is fucked up before then!

This is one of them good starts that gets me excited. I like how the 3 trunks are, and can go.

Sorce

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would cut back to where you show in your previous photo and focus on figuring out your roots on this tree at the moment. There looks to be weird stuff going on there.

I would do all this in spring and see what new backbudding comes this year. You can make a better decision the following year on where you can start to build good taper at.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice vert @ajm5555! Having been though this a few times, I suggest at least one node lower. I hesitate going as far as @sorce is suggesting with his orange circles.

If you are wanting to make a multi-trunk design (and I think that could be rewarding) you need to make a thick dominant trunk and two thinner minor trunks. To do this, you let the one you want to be thicker run and limit the foliage on the other two for several years. Then, when you would 'chop' in the fashion of your vert (but lower) and grow the next part of all your trunks. It will take less than a decade (unless you are wanting a 3+inch main trunk) and will likely look pretty enough in leaf in the meantime.

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
@ajm55555

here is a good visual guide w/ regards to the kind of cuts that might apply to your situation:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
2nd for the ihaveaspaceship model. The 3 trunks should make a pleasing natural JM shape. Some work to get a good radial root system should give a classic JM nebari too. Any current inverse taper down there will grow out as the new roots develop.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's why I'd wait.
Seems an altogether girthing up could further provide a good spot to start a groundlayer as well. Redline, though a tilt left to use that baseline may work.View attachment 271788

Either way I'd be long gaming a plan to use these low nodes for taper chops.

The longer you keep your mind in "building phase" the better it'll end up.

Set a 30 year goal, and hope it's only 7!

You can't set a 7 year goal and it turns into 30, the tree is fucked up before then!

This is one of them good starts that gets me excited. I like how the 3 trunks are, and can go.

Sorce
Thanks for the tips Sorce. I agree on everything but the cuts ;-) They're a bit too low for my taste. I have time to think about it though.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice vert @ajm5555! Having been though this a few times, I suggest at least one node lower. I hesitate going as far as @sorce is suggesting with his orange circles.

If you are wanting to make a multi-trunk design (and I think that could be rewarding) you need to make a thick dominant trunk and two thinner minor trunks. To do this, you let the one you want to be thicker run and limit the foliage on the other two for several years. Then, when you would 'chop' in the fashion of your vert (but lower) and grow the next part of all your trunks. It will take less than a decade (unless you are wanting a 3+inch main trunk) and will likely look pretty enough in leaf in the meantime.
I agree with you on the cuts. I'm not aiming for fat trunks but a more natural look. Thanks.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry to highjack your thread @ajm55555 but i’ve got a similar situation and figure you might need the advice as well.

Is it worth repotting as well as chopping next year in to a better substrate or leaving in its current pot? I have read about only working either above or below the soil hard in one season and not both so what would be the best plan here please?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry to highjack your thread @ajm55555 but i’ve got a similar situation and figure you might need the advice as well.

Is it worth repotting as well as chopping next year in to a better substrate or leaving in its current pot? I have read about only working either above or below the soil hard in one season and not both so what would be the best plan here please?

on healthy nursery trees, i do it all the time. i have numerous threads documenting exactly this.
conifers and collected trees use more caution. but ive done both on nursery conifers too

Just experiment mate;)

Top Bottom