Multi-trunk Serissa

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I finally got some good backyard time this morning and used it to look at, think about and take some photos of my multi-trunk Serissa. I bought it last summer and haven't done any major work yet. Just some basic pruning to maintain shape, pinching of suckers popping out of the roots, watering, fertilizing, etc. It's very healthy. Frankly, I'm not all that happy with the photos, as I think it looks much better in real life. Still these should work for the purpose of this thread.

I'm looking for any input you guys have. There are a few areas that I've been thinking about most.

First, it has 6 trunks. I've never been overly concerned with "rules", but they're often around for a reason. Beyond the even number, the 6th (furthest right) trunk crosses over the 5th trunk, and seems to generally interrupt the overall flow. img_0159 shows this best. It's even more evident in person. So, I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

Next, it obviously has a lot of exposed roots (Negari?) This has become more pronounced since I've owned it. The soil used to be somewhat more "mounded" around the base but has been washed out by my watering and Florida rain storms. Should I try to lower it in pot during its next repotting, or leave as is to accentuate this feature?

There's also a strange sphere at the base of trunks that looks a little odd.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this tree and not looking to do anything too drastic. I am ready to make a few adjustments and wanted to get some opinions before I work on it this spring (which is almost here).

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 79

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That strange sphere was probably your seventh trunk. I think this is a beautiful tree or clump, heck you could even call it a forest. man i would seriously think twice, maybe even thrice about cutting a trunk off or sinking those dramatic roots. This tree is fantastic looking, natural and captivating to look at. I would keep it healthy and consider it a winner if I were you.

ed

Top Bottom