Multiple air layers off single trunk?

dustbust

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a 10 foot tall Amur maple that looks grafted and was in the dying section of the nursery. Tree got a little tlc and is now in pretty good shape. The base is about 3" the apex which I already chopped to fit on my SUV is 1". I'd like to "part it out" and do some air layers to get multiple trees. Is it possible to do more than one air layer on a single trunk? In a perfect world I'd like to do 4 at once.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never tried it.Perhaps some pictures.
Maybe it could be done as long as each layer had leaves for roots to want to grow.You can do as many as you want on separate lines.

dustbust

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might not work then. It has plenty of branches at the top but none down the rest of the tree. But there is a lot of back budding down the trunk. Maybe it could be a 2 year project. 1 layer this year, let the buds grow and do 3 more next year.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Might not work then. It has plenty of branches at the top but none down the rest of the tree. But there is a lot of back budding down the trunk. Maybe it could be a 2 year project. 1 layer this year, let the buds grow and do 3 more next year.

Here is a good link for layering that I liked.It is multiple pages. http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering page2.html
And do not forget that branches on trees have particularly vigorous growth and you could do successive pruning to develop taper and then layer at a later time as stated in the link.
Develop the bonsai while attached to the parent tree.I am doing that to and 'ojishi' Japanese maple nursery tree.There are about ten or so branches like the picture below on the tree.It is fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You might like this too,for smaller trees.I am going to do my best to use the technique on zelkova that I lose interest with and put in the ground.Pictures from the web.
And also the link where I got the pictures.Another member pointed me to the link,pretty cool.It updates daily. http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/MYBLOG/yblog.html/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 53

dustbust

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The branch idea is a good one. That could be in the future. Maybe instead of chopping it I could use it as a parent plant. I like the idea though of having immediate 1-3" trunks

dustbust

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took some pics tonight but the look like garbage so I will get some before work tomorrow

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I have done two airlayers on a tree. I do the top one first and after a month the lower one...It has worked but not sure if it applies to all varieties.

Top Bottom