Multiple air layers or no?

Bmcghan22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi I’m new to bonsai I recently got a sharps pygmy and someone suggested cutting it back to get better ramifications and instead of just cutting it I was wondering if I could air layer 3 parts of the tree at the same time. I was thinking of air layering each one of the three main branches coming out of the trunk about 2-3” up.

Attachments

• D0AFC1CC-E92E-4C9F-81AD-33167EA8BB5D.jpeg
    D0AFC1CC-E92E-4C9F-81AD-33167EA8BB5D.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 39

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Assuming the tree is healthy/grew strongly last year, and as long as there's adequate foliage to support the development of roots at each layer, you're good to go. I've done this on several A.p.s with success, fwiw.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Multiple layers are fine provided each has leaves above to help produce roots. In this case layering each branch will be no problem.

Bmcghan22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Assuming the tree is healthy/grew strongly last year, and as long as there's adequate foliage to support the development of roots at each layer, you're good to go. I've done this on several A.p.s with success, fwiw.
Yeah I frequently go to the nursery I got it from they take great care of their trees. It was very healthy I did repot it into some better draining soil. I had to cut some roots to get it in the pot it’s in it was pretty root bound. I heard of people doing multiple but just wanted to make sure before I tried i hear a lot about sap flow but I figured they would all come from the top and it shouldn’t be a problem with the way I was thinking. I was going to wait until about late may or June.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only one per branch though.... can’t do one above the other on the same piece.
Actually you can, as long as there is foliage to support the layers. The original roots will continue to support the foliage and if there's foliage above each layer, they'll support the new root growth even if they're on the same branch or trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

This tree deserves good proper work, the layers would be a very very secondary mission for me.

You're not getting anything interesting at 2-3in up, so I'd go higher, and probably do one at a time to not have what would turn into, 4 giant shade creating masses in the canopy.

That right side needs 2 of that 4 banger removed.

And this is nice enough material to stop allowing 3's or 4's elsewhere too.

Sorce

Top Bottom