Multiple air layers

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello to all. I hope everyone is doing good. I am getting ready to air layer a trident maple, and am wondering if you can do multiple air layers on a single tree? I have seen multiples on different branches. Can you do multiple on a single trunk? My tree is about 8 feet tall, can you do one at 2 feet, then one at 5 feet? Thanks in advance.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Personally I've found that the thickness of the branch affects the success rate of airlayers, that is the smaller the branch the better the chance, with a tree 8 ft tall I'd be worries the trunk is way too thick to layer. Also u want to have some leaves between each layer. So each section u layer there should be leaves b4 the next layer section-hope that makes sense

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I have had great success with smaller branches, 3/4" or less. Have done 4 on different types of trees, and havent lost one yet, (keeping fingers crossed) I have seen tridents layered at 2"-3" on different branches, but never on the same branch, like one above another. There is probably 10-15 branches in each 24" of main trunk height, so i dont think seperation would be a problem. I am just not sure about the nutrient flow. It is approximately 1 1/2" at the base, and at 4' it is probably 5/8", then about 1/2" at 6' or so. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom