Multiple approach grafts a major insult?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As title said...is doing multiple approach grafts considered a major insult?

I have a Hollywood (Torulosa) Juniper I purchased last year that was chopped low (probably removed 70% of it height and foliage wise). Root system is intact and not touched other than minor nebari check on top inch of soil. It is throwing new growth now.

I plan on approach grafting it with shimpaku juniper and wondering when is the safe time to do it with the chopping it got mid-August last year.

Thanks!!!

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
As title said...is doing multiple approach grafts considered a major insult?

I have a Hollywood (Torulosa) Juniper I purchased last year that was chopped low (probably removed 70% of it height and foliage wise). Root system is intact and not touched other than minor nebari check on top inch of soil. It is throwing new growth now.

I plan on approach grafting it with shimpaku juniper and wondering when is the safe time to do it with the chopping it got mid-August last year.

Thanks!!!

I'd like to know the answer to this one too. Minus the chopping part how many is too many in one year?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not consider approach grafts "insults". Grafts invigorate and "add to" rather than take away like pollarding, chopping and removing large masses of roots.

I would consider waiting until it is slowing pushing growth this year and do the grafts next year when you can choose places that will make a difference rather then wasting time grafting only to have a bud pop 1/4 inch from the graft. These junipers are beasts and you may end up in the fall with all you need. It will push year round here in CA., probably will in Texas also.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Smoke. I appreciate the input.

I am sorry for not being clear but the ultimate intent is to totally replace all the foliage with Shimpaku.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd keep the grafts on a few years after they take to bulk up the volume of foliage on the whips you graft with. In that way when the foliage is all replaced you're not left with a Juniper in 'first gear' and taking years to be vigourous enough to style successfully.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Assuming the grafts took the first year (but will be left attached to their original roots system). When do you start reducing the main tree's original foliage?

I plan on removing most of the original foliage on top ASAP but leave the bottom ones as long as they are not covering any new grafted foliage. Is this a good game plan? Any suggestion(s) is appreciated.

Thank you.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wife chopped a Single branch off one 2 weeks ago and stuck it in the flower garden for giggles. The plant she chopped has been in training 2 years and proceeded to die and the branch stuck in the ground appears to be rooting...:confused:

Top Bottom