Multiple flushes of growth in Pines

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In another thread the number of flushes of new growth has arisen.
@DirkvanDreven had asked me to confirm if possible that Pinus halepensis in Cyprus has three pushes of shoots per year.
I do love trees in nature and I admire their stature, I can recognize some of them, I can tell their figure/shape BUT I am not the kind of person who attends closely their habits and growth patterns... :oops:
I was always thinking that successive flush of new shoots is induced by decandling, like @Brian Van Fleet posted in said thread : "On their own, all pines will produce a single flush and sit lazy all summer. Some can be forced to produce a second."

However, after Dirk's observation I started searching an old article of Ofer Grunwald about P. halepensis in which he declared Aleppo Pine to have three + one more flushes (in favourable conditions) of growth.
Then I searched for a while on the internet and I thought I would share two pieces of what I have come up with in order for others knowledgeable members to hopefully chime in and offer their knowledge.
So, here it is and thank you for reading :)

1) THE GROWING TREE by Brayton F. Wilson
On page #78
If a lateral shoot meristem forms a bud immediately, the bud is inhibited from growing by other parts of the plant. If the leaves are removed, or if the stem is injured above the bud, although the lateral bud is inhibited, it will grow out to form a shoot. Buds on vigorous trees may overcome the inhibition and grow out as a result of favorable environmental conditions.
There are three different types of such growth. There may be a multiple flush where the terminal and laterals grow out one of more times during a growing season. Fast-growing southern pines have several flushes of growth, often four to six in a year.
At each flush the terminal elongates, a new whorl of lateral branches is formed, and new buds are formed. This sequence of flushes makes it difficult for people who are used to northern pines, which form only one whorl of branches each year, to determine the age of a tree by simply counting the number of annual whorls of branches. It still may be possible to determine the age of southern pines by counting whorls because the first flush each year usually produces the greatest terminal elongation and successive flushes elongate less so that there is an annual repeating pattern of long to short flushes.

Fast-growing individuals of many temperate species that do not have multiple flushes will briefly resume growth after making buds if the early summer weather is warm and moist. This extra growth is usually much less than the previous elongation in the spring.
Often just the terminal grows (lammas growth) or just the laterals grow (prolepsis). Lammas growth looks odd because it is so much less than a normal year’s growth, but it does not drastically affect the form of the tree. Prolepsis is particularly common in fast-growing pines. The lateral buds grow out in the same year they are formed, but the terminal does not. In following years these precocious laterals frequently dominate the terminal shoot and several of the lateral branches may become replacement terminals. The result is a much-forked main stem that closely resembles the forking resulting from injury to the main stem. Such injuries are particularly common from the white pine weevil in the eastern U.S. Usually the much-forked form of “pasture pines” is attributed to the effect of the weevil, but in young, fast growing trees the results of prolepsis are nearly identical and are most likely to occur in open fields where growth is rapid. Prolepsis can be distinguished from weevil damage because there is no dead terminal and because there is a small whorl of buds which grow out again in the same year, are different from apical dominance and control, yet they share some features.

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
2) PHYSIOLOGY OF WOODY PLANTS by Paul Kramer
2a. On page #71
Shoot growth of some temperate-zone pines such as loblolly and Monterey, most tropical pines and many tropical and subtropical angiosperms occurs in a series of waves of “flushes” during the growing season. Such growth involves elongation of more than one terminal bud per shoot each year.
After the first bud with its fixed complement of leaves expands into a shoot, a second bud forms rapidly at the apex of the same shoot and this bud also expands shortly thereafter, thereby cumulatively extending the shoot. The second growth phase may be followed by additional waves of growth from even more buds formed and expanded sequentially at the tip of the same shoot axis.
In southern pines of the U.S. such as loblolly and longleaf pines the first seasonal growth flush is usually the longest. The number of successive buds which form and expand on the same shoot varies with individual trees, species, shoot location on the stem and climatic conditions. The terminal leader and the upper-whorl shoots usually produce more buds and show more growth flushes than do lower branches. The terminal leader of an average adult loblolly pine tree does not elongate more than two or three times annually, but as many as seven successive elongations have been recorded in one summer for terminal leaders of some trees (Wakeley & Marrero, 1958).
The periods of inactivity between growth flushes may be long or short. Recurrently flushing shortleaf and pitch pine trees in N. Jersey had distinct periods of growth inactivity between flushes (Tepper, 1963), whereas in Louisiana the successively formed buds of young loblolly pine trees formed rapidly and expanded, so the shoots elongated almost continuously (Eggler, 1961). Seasonal continuity of shoot expansion in longleaf pine has also been reported (Allen & Scarbrough, 1969).

2b. On page 80
Shoot growth of pines in the tropics may be similar to their growth in the temperate zone, or it may be quite different. Normal growth is by typical recurrent flushing with the axis elongation by extension of a succession of buds formed on the terminal leader of the main stem. After a period of elongation, growth of the stem ceases briefly and a new terminal bud cluster forms. Shortly thereafter the recently formed buds expand to further lengthen the terminal leader and to produce a whorl of lateral branches. Generally from two to four such growth flushes occure annually. In contrast, some pine trees develop abnormally and grow continuously as a result of failure to set buds which would elongate to form lateral branches (Lanner, 1964, 1966a). Lloyd (1914) described such growth as “foxtailing” because the upper part of the abnormally elongating shoot had a conical of “foxtail” appearance.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Αλεξάνδρα,

For what it is worth the Tropical Caribbean Pine and it's blends
for example - with the Honduran, will produce shoots, responding
to watering or rain.

If you cut the shoots, the needles grow to a shorter 3 inches [ 8 cm ]
and the tree retains it's grace.
There is much research still to be done, as the idea is not to produce
a J.B.pine wannabe,

This pine does not have candles, just shoots with needles.
Nor any real surface roots with age. It is also a hardwood / lumber tree.
Good Day
Anthony

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2) PHYSIOLOGY OF WOODY PLANTS by Paul Kramer
2a. On page #71
Shoot growth of some temperate-zone pines such as loblolly and Monterey, most tropical pines and many tropical and subtropical angiosperms occurs in a series of waves of “flushes” during the growing season. Such growth involves elongation of more than one terminal bud per shoot each year.
After the first bud with its fixed complement of leaves expands into a shoot, a second bud forms rapidly at the apex of the same shoot and this bud also expands shortly thereafter, thereby cumulatively extending the shoot. The second growth phase may be followed by additional waves of growth from even more buds formed and expanded sequentially at the tip of the same shoot axis.
In southern pines of the U.S. such as loblolly and longleaf pines the first seasonal growth flush is usually the longest. The number of successive buds which form and expand on the same shoot varies with individual trees, species, shoot location on the stem and climatic conditions. The terminal leader and the upper-whorl shoots usually produce more buds and show more growth flushes than do lower branches. The terminal leader of an average adult loblolly pine tree does not elongate more than two or three times annually, but as many as seven successive elongations have been recorded in one summer for terminal leaders of some trees (Wakeley & Marrero, 1958).
The periods of inactivity between growth flushes may be long or short. Recurrently flushing shortleaf and pitch pine trees in N. Jersey had distinct periods of growth inactivity between flushes (Tepper, 1963), whereas in Louisiana the successively formed buds of young loblolly pine trees formed rapidly and expanded, so the shoots elongated almost continuously (Eggler, 1961). Seasonal continuity of shoot expansion in longleaf pine has also been reported (Allen & Scarbrough, 1969).

2b. On page 80
Shoot growth of pines in the tropics may be similar to their growth in the temperate zone, or it may be quite different. Normal growth is by typical recurrent flushing with the axis elongation by extension of a succession of buds formed on the terminal leader of the main stem. After a period of elongation, growth of the stem ceases briefly and a new terminal bud cluster forms. Shortly thereafter the recently formed buds expand to further lengthen the terminal leader and to produce a whorl of lateral branches. Generally from two to four such growth flushes occure annually. In contrast, some pine trees develop abnormally and grow continuously as a result of failure to set buds which would elongate to form lateral branches (Lanner, 1964, 1966a). Lloyd (1914) described such growth as “foxtailing” because the upper part of the abnormally elongating shoot had a conical of “foxtail” appearance.
I love Cyprus! Wonder how JBP would thrive there!!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
From the hundreds of halepensis pines I've been seeing this week in Mallorca, it's true that it's hard to distinguish.
Maybe they don't flush, but instead they have a growing season and a dormant season, more like cacti: responding to rain as Anthony says.

Other observations I made this week about these pines, because I want them too:
They seem to have more bark in containers or on sidewalks as oposed to forests.
They grow a few meters from sea (salt tolerance).
They reduce needle size in poor conditions.
They can be very leggy, thin.
I have looked for active backbudding, bud formation on branches or signs of it, but I was unable to find any buds other than at the tips of shoots.
Younger plants tend to be very, very bushy: lots of branches in all directions.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It looks like not many have interest in contributing their experience on the original subject "Multiple flush growth Pines"...
Regardless of that, @Wires_Guy_wires here is what I have observed on my halepensis sapling.

This is the tree as bought on July 1st
IMG_8152.JPGIt sits in full sun all day long and at present I just feed it heavily and water sufficiently. It is intended to be styled as a slanting literati and first interventions are programmed for coming fall.

On 08 of August I removed all the candles from the apex, from every branch on the apical part of the trunk in order to slow down its growth and aiming at the strengthening of the lower branches.
This is the response of the lower branches as of today.
New buds on the trunk
trunk1.JPG trunk2.JPG

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Αλεξάνδρα,

What you are trying to do, is get the buds to occur lower down the
tree and lower down the branch.
This is what we call - Lush.

With the Caribbean / Honduran pine blend we have, we learnt
how to back bud on branches and shorten the needles.
This is a 3 needle pine, so what we learn on the J.B,pine can
be passed onto the local pine.

The local pine is a hardwood, floors and supporting posts,
coarse woodwork and will have to spend time in the ground
for trunk thickening. No real surface roots show. in mature
specimens in nature.

It is a graceful pine.
There at least 20 trees being worked on, so no one tree is
loved to death.
Good Day
Anthony

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It takes a few years for jbp to settle into their rhythms. This is normal, and as it matures, this won’t be the norm.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Please note that my observations come from nature, observations in nature, and that I do not (yet) have my own halepensis growing.
Of course, in potted culture these pines will behave differently, and people reporting about it should be trusted more than my simple observations.

I'm just a tourist in the mediteranean, I come here to collect juniper cuttings - who knew they had junipers here?! Even rare ones that.. well, just wait a few years -, I let my girlfriend collect seeds from whatever she likes, we take a few dives, eat good food, and travel back north to care for my scots pines in a few days.

My nellie, your observations are helping a lot! Good work! Maybe in a few years, I have some 'cultivated' knowledge to share as well. But in the mean time, please keep it coming ;-)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi my nellie,
Thanks for bringing up this interesting subject. Physiology of this growing behavior is worth to know,
Your pine is responded well with pruning. Now you have a lesson form it. When you are ready to train it’s branches, you will exactly know what you should do .
Please remember writing down the time, the way you did for documentation.
Thụ Thoại

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my yard there are many pines that will throw sporadic second flushes of growth. Pitch pine, Scots, eastern white, red(resinosa), have all shown a second push of growth in our humid summers.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Of course, in potted culture these pines will behave differently
Exactly!
And of course the excerpts I cited above are dealing with trees growing in nature. Aren't they?
That's why I asked fellow members to post their experience with potted trees of the same species, if they have any such experience.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I'm just a tourist in the mediteranean, I come here to collect juniper cuttings - who knew they had junipers here?! Even rare ones that.. well, just wait a few years... ...
Juniperus phoenician! Isn't it?
Enjoy!
Sea-cedars they are called in Crete.
Juniperus macrocarpa mainly and some Juniperus phoenicea.

4.jpg

5.jpg

cf85a-kedr.jpg

CHRISI.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi my nellie,
Thanks for bringing up this interesting subject. Physiology of this growing behavior is worth to know,
Your pine is responded well with pruning. Now you have a lesson form it. When you are ready to train it’s branches, you will exactly know what you should do .
Please remember writing down the time, the way you did for documentation.
Thụ Thoại
I appreciate your input Thụ Thoại. Thank you!
Taking notes is what @Anthony always tells me :)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for your response!
In my yard there are many pines that will throw sporadic second flushes of growth. Pitch pine, Scots, eastern white, red(resinosa), have all shown a second push of growth in our humid summers.
I can imagine that climatic conditions play a major role.
These are pines growing in the ground, aren't they? They have not undergone any kind of pruning/decandling.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just seeing this for the first time.

Looks like maybe I wasn't dumb for calling my loblollies triple flush pines. cool

I wonder if it's detrimental to decandle more than once a season? Right now the trees are so vigorous I couldn't even imagine trying to ramify any part if it's going to throw shoots at this pace

Top Bottom