Multitrunk juniper

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is piggybacking on Chris' post about multitrunks, but I didn't want to hijack his thread. I repotted this today. I think it has potential but I'm not sure what way to go with it. I've been studying it for about two months now without a clear vision. I'm thinking of splitting two of the trunks. I removed one trunk (the middle stem) but have not done anything else.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• multitrunk#3.jpg
    multitrunk#3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 81
  • multiptrunk#2.jpg
    multiptrunk#2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 62
  • multitrunk#4.jpg
    multitrunk#4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 69

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Barry, While this Juniper has some styling possibilities. I would look away from a multi-trunk design. It is not technically a multi-trunk the separation of trunks is two far up on the tree to fall into this classification.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Tom. While a split trunk farther up the tree can work sometimes (see Walter Pall), in this case I think you have some beautiful fluid movement with the left hand trunk. The right side tends to detract in my mind.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would keep the trunk on the left as the only living portion of the tree and jin the rest. Keep the jins long for now, it is easier to shorten them as styling evolves but impossible to put them back once cut. A problem many bonsai growers have is a reluctance to remove good, strong, and healthy growth. In the end and after years of work you wind up with a tree that seems to be two or three different styles in the same tree trying to take dominance over each other. I have trees like that which I am trying to resolve as we speak.

Top Bottom