mume ?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've always been told about mume being very susceptable to spring freezes and fungus attacks later in spring from the cracks in branching due to freezing in early spring, anyway I visited a nursery in my zone and found they had probalbly a hundred seedling mume in the ground, they were six foot or taller with thick trunks, obviously been in the ground awhile, when I asked the grower about this issue, he had no idea what I was talking about and stated that's never happened to him, they were in flower and very healthy, and we have been having some cold winters.Is this only true with certain cultivars? We have rough winters and springs in my area, thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've always been told about mume being very susceptable to spring freezes and fungus attacks later in spring from the cracks in branching due to freezing in early spring, anyway I visited a nursery in my zone and found they had probalbly a hundred seedling mume in the ground, they were six foot or taller with thick trunks, obviously been in the ground awhile, when I asked the grower about this issue, he had no idea what I was talking about and stated that's never happened to him, they were in flower and very healthy, and we have been having some cold winters.Is this only true with certain cultivars? We have rough winters and springs in my area, thanks
people say a lot of things that sound good and are not true.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I believe the issues you describe are the reason that Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks doesn't grow ume specimens anymore. This may also be more of a regional issue.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
All members of the Prunus family are very susceptible to various fungal diseases.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys, I figured it was BS, or he has just been lucky, ill take a look at them later this spring and see if they have been damaged from this horrific winter, if they make it, I have my eye on one in a few years. :)

Top Bottom