Mungo Pine Direction.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
This will be my first post ever on this forum so apologies if I'm doing it wrong!

Picked up this lovely bit of nursery stock today: IMG_20210919_122453.jpg
1/3 of a good root flare, not in an ideal place however. Back end does not seem to have many roots near the surface at all.

I have managed to turn into this:IMG_20210919_141138.jpg

I will be leaving it there with the pruning as I'm conscious about if having enough energy to make it through the winter, opened up enough to get a good amount of light in everywhere. Will prune more next season which brings me to my questions/discussion points

Unsure which of the lower 3 left branches to keep, I'm thinking either the middle or the lower. Once I have decided I'm unsure on how best to deal with the "knuckle" that's been created where they join the trunk.

My other question is apexes, how to best go about creating a good apex on the mugos?

Thanks for your time!
FinnLakk

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.
Thank you! Didn't realise that, in the mean time whilst I figure out how to do that I'm in Scotland, UK

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you're off to a good start. Good starter material and a good trunkline.

In 2022 and 2023 it'll backbud all over those bare branches. That's what you want, because when those shoots get stronger, you can take the ends of the branches off and reduce the size of the tree to a bonsai level.
That means, unfortunately, that there's a waiting time period that'll test your patience.

That lower right branch can be a nice future jin, no worries. I wouldn't worry about knuckles for now, they don't swell a whole lot now that you've done some pruning. Same for the apex, just let it grow for a while and it'll tell you what to do when the time comes.

In the meantime, it's worth checking out Vance Woods compiled work on the mugo pine. Somewhere in the resources page of the forum.

Also, if you're ever visiting Skye, try to take some scots pines. They grow insanely well in that climate. I was amazed at their healthy looks.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You got solid material here! These are the trunk lines we all look for in mugos. Dont kill it for chrissake.

Now its a matter of craftsmanship. Keep seeking resources and videos about wiring, foliage pad shape and space filling.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
I think you're off to a good start. Good starter material and a good trunkline.

In 2022 and 2023 it'll backbud all over those bare branches. That's what you want, because when those shoots get stronger, you can take the ends of the branches off and reduce the size of the tree to a bonsai level.
That means, unfortunately, that there's a waiting time period that'll test your patience.

That lower right branch can be a nice future jin, no worries. I wouldn't worry about knuckles for now, they don't swell a whole lot now that you've done some pruning. Same for the apex, just let it grow for a while and it'll tell you what to do when the time comes.

In the meantime, it's worth checking out Vance Woods compiled work on the mugo pine. Somewhere in the resources page of the forum.

Also, if you're ever visiting Skye, try to take some scots pines. They grow insanely well in that climate. I was amazed at their healthy looks.
Awesome thank you very much! not the first tree I've styled but definitely the one closest to looking like a real bonsai, a lot of the nursery material around me is awful for bonsai.

I have around 30/40 trees already so there's always something to keep me occupied as I'm not the most patient. Excited to watch this guy progress!

I was thinking a jin or maybe grow it out to extend and chop the thicker portion off to get some nice movement and taper on the branch.

I shall definitely check out Vance Woods, lots of research to do!

I do plan on visiting Skye some day soon, i'll be sure to bring a shovel!

Made one more decision today:

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
You got solid material here! These are the trunk lines we all look for in mugos. Dont kill it for chrissake.

Now its a matter of craftsmanship. Keep seeking resources and videos about wiring, foliage pad shape and space filling.
Thanks man! very very few and far between around these parts, first mugo I've seen around here to be honest and great stock at that as well! the bonsai gods were smiling today. I'll do my best, by far the best looking tree in my collection so far so I will be mighty upset if I do.

I've got a couple bonsai books and a plethora of knowledge on the internet at m finger tips, I know Bonsai Mirai do a lot of wok on Mugos so think I'll get subscribed to them for a while and soak it all in

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Can't seem to add more photos on the desktop so here's the "finished" shot: Screenshot_20210919-232156.jpg

Top Bottom