Murraya koenigii

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Murraya koenigii, Curry leaf tree bonsai
anyone had success in growing a bonsai ?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No. Murraya paniculata is common in bonsai.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The Curry leaf tree, Murraya koenigii, has compound leaves, which are problematic for use as bonsai. The compound leaves are a problem, but not a "fatal flaw", Murraya koenigii can and have been used as bonsai. Each leaf consists of 11 to 21 leaflets which means each leaf is 20 to 35 cm in length. You can several times a year, or just when putting the tree on display shorten each of the compound leaves to 2 to 4 leaflets. The fresh leaves of the curry leaf tree are used as a spice for flavoring many different south Asian and Southeast Asian recipes. If you are familiar with cooking with Murraya koenigii, then you can tidy up the tree, shortening leaves to 2 leaflets and use the cut off portions for seasoning the evening's meal. The leaves are not flavorful once dried, their best culinary use is as fresh leaves.

An alternative to shortening the compound leaves is to "go large", and create a bonsai large enough 1 to 1.4 meters tall, that will use the whole leaves in the design. The leaflets of the compound leaves are relatively small, so each leaf can be a visual representation of a branch with 11 to 21 leaves. Either way it works.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The Curry leaf tree, Murraya koenigii, has compound leaves, which are problematic for use as bonsai. The compound leaves are a problem, but not a "fatal flaw", Murraya koenigii can and have been used as bonsai. Each leaf consists of 11 to 21 leaflets which means each leaf is 20 to 35 cm in length. You can several times a year, or just when putting the tree on display shorten each of the compound leaves to 2 to 4 leaflets. The fresh leaves of the curry leaf tree are used as a spice for flavoring many different south Asian and Southeast Asian recipes. If you are familiar with cooking with Murraya koenigii, then you can tidy up the tree, shortening leaves to 2 leaflets and use the cut off portions for seasoning the evening's meal. The leaves are not flavorful once dried, their best culinary use is as fresh leaves.

An alternative to shortening the compound leaves is to "go large", and create a bonsai large enough 1 to 1.4 meters tall, that will use the whole leaves in the design. The leaflets of the compound leaves are relatively small, so each leaf can be a visual representation of a branch with 11 to 21 leaves. Either way it works.
That's exactly what I'm doing now ( I've got large Curry leaf Trees here in NZ )
just haven't got a Bonsai version

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not for bonsai, but I’ve wanted one for culinary purposes for a long time now.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Currys so good
Yes! I’ve been teaching myself Indian cooking for a few years and not to brag but I’m pretty good lol. There are two Indian grocery stores about an hour from me so it’s not necessarily hard to get them. But it would still be nice just to go pinch a couple leaves off whenever I need them.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes, I've been growing Curry leave trees for about 30 years from seed . I've got a number of magnificent specimens in my back yard , My old place had a 25 feet specimen ( I was going to transplant it , big it was just too big )

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, I've been growing Curry leave trees for about 30 years from seed . I've got a number of magnificent specimens in my back yard , My old place had a 25 feet specimen ( I was going to transplant it , big it was just too big )
That’s awesome! I’m eventually going to get around to acquiring one. But unfortunately mine will never be 25 feet - maybe 25 inches 🤷🏻‍♂️ Ohio winters would not be kind to such a tree ⛄

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That's exactly what I'm doing now ( I've got large Curry leaf Trees here in NZ )
just haven't got a Bonsai version

A bonsai version? A tree in the ground, sculpted or trained to a shape is either Niwaki (Japanese styled to look like an older tree) or Topiary (British style)

If the tree is in a pot, it can be bonsai if it is styled to evoke the emotions of a scene from nature. Bonsai can be quite large, 2 meters tall and so heavy you need a fork lift truck to move it are at the upper size end for bonsai. Most of the champion award winners at Japanese shows tend to be in the 0.75 meters to 1.25 meters size range. The size bracketed around a meter tall, tend to be visually impressive, yet small enough that one person can move them around.

The smaller size bonsai tend to be less visually impressive, but can be true works of art, full of subtly for up close viewing.

Shohin bonsai generally are 20 cm (8 inches) or less in size. This size range tends to be technically challenging, getting scale, and sense of proportions right. Also quite challenging horticulturally because pots don't hold enough media, hence moisture, for there to be much margin for error on watering.

I got the impression from your comment that you felt a larger tree in a pot, was not "bonsai". Truth is size is very open ended. It is the styling of the tree, whether or not it makes an emotional or artistic statement that is the key that divides "Bonsai" from just a tree in a pot. The word Bonsai is literally the combination of the words Tray and Tree in Japanese. So to be bonsai, the tree must be in a pot. If the tree is in the ground it is Niwaki or Topiary depending on what image is created.

And when it is for our personal enjoyment, one only has to please one's self.

Larger trees are easier to care for, in general. Pots for larger trees tend to be exponentially more expensive than for small trees. So there are trade offs. Small trees are more challenging to get watering correct. Smaller pots are less expensive.

Last edited:

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I got the impression from your comment that you felt a larger tree in a pot, was not "bonsai". Truth is size is very open ended. It is the styling of the tree, whether or not it makes an emotional or artistic statement that is the key that divides "Bonsai" from just a tree in a pot. The word Bonsai is literally the combination of the words Tray and Tree in Japanese. So to be bonsai, the tree must be in a pot. If the tree is in the ground it is Niwaki or Topiary depending on what image is created.
Yes , I got some new trees about this size , but my wife will kill me if I dig them up o_O

Top Bottom