Mushrooms growing in the soil - HELP

jlins

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I have very recently noticed two mushrooms sprout from the soil of my fukien tea tree. If i move the rocks above the soil, there are blankets of white fungus which i am sure is where the root of the white mushroom is. Anyway, are these good for my tree? bad?

Attachments

• IMG_5726.jpg
    IMG_5726.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 72

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would suggest that they indicate a substrate that is staying too wet and not holding enough air for optimum health! Also decomposing organic matter in the pot such as rotting roots or decomposing wood chips.The mushrooms themselves likely having no effect on your tree.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think you are supposed to immediately eat mushrooms without looking them up. At least that's what my Scout leader would say! Seriously, though what is the reason for the pea gravel top dress?
They say eating unidentified mushrooms can feed you for a lifetime

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
this tree always lives inside? i have a couple of these and believe they (and all) really appreciate it if you transition them outside for awhile to get the fat ol sun..
agree with all above here, mushroom good, soil....maybe not great?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
J, common sense approach ;-) You're growing conditions are perfect for growing mushrooms ;-) Your tree seems to be healthy and happy. So it's either a symbiosis or just conditions are right for both ;-)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mushrooms are not usually a sign of a problem. There are symbiotic fungi that live in the soil that are critical to the health of most Pines and other conifers.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is normal to get mushrooms on pots with a healthy substrate. Start worrying when you have them growing on your tree.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi friends,

I have very recently noticed two mushrooms sprout from the soil of my fukien tea tree. If i move the rocks above the soil, there are blankets of white fungus which i am sure is where the root of the white mushroom is. Anyway, are these good for my tree? bad?
If it was a fungus that was parasitic such as the honey fungus. You would see a decline in the tree since it's so small. These fungus mycelium (the white threads under soil) deprive the nutrients from a tree then feed on the dead tree. I just had some shrooms sprout in my healthiest japanese maple pot. I knew it was a mycorrhizal type. Didn't spend time trying to id cause it was obvious since the tree is the healthiest one I have. If your tree is healthy and vigorous it is most likely a mycorrhizal type mycelium which is living in symbiosis with the tree roots. The tree provides this mycelium woth sugars and the mycelium has nitrogen and other nutrients readily available. I saw this through a mycologists microscope. Mushroom mycelium also can consume bacteria and other mycelium that is not as developed. So you should not destroy the mycelium mat if your tree is healthy and vigorous. Let the mushroom spore so it can live with your tree. The world's largest organism is a honey fungus mycelium mat in Oregon. It's like 2000 years old. Constantly consuming a large portion of a forest.

triasbhai

Seed
Reaction score
If it was a fungus that was parasitic such as the honey fungus. You would see a decline in the tree since it's so small. These fungus mycelium (the white threads under soil) deprive the nutrients from a tree then feed on the dead tree. I just had some shrooms sprout in my healthiest japanese maple pot. I knew it was a mycorrhizal type. Didn't spend time trying to id cause it was obvious since the tree is the healthiest one I have. If your tree is healthy and vigorous it is most likely a mycorrhizal type mycelium which is living in symbiosis with the tree roots. The tree provides this mycelium woth sugars and the mycelium has nitrogen and other nutrients readily available. I saw this through a mycologists microscope. Mushroom mycelium also can consume bacteria and other mycelium that is not as developed. So you should not destroy the mycelium mat if your tree is healthy and vigorous. Let the mushroom spore so it can live with your tree. The world's largest organism is a honey fungus mycelium mat in Oregon. It's like 2000 years old. Constantly consuming a large portion of a forest.
Really informative, I have recently started mushroom growing and your advice really will help me in longrun

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think you are supposed to immediately eat mushrooms without looking them up. At least that's what my Scout leader would say! Seriously, though what is the reason for the pea gravel top dress?
im not too strict with it but anecdotally having a stone or gravel top dress great helps with water beginning to absorb into the soil
as opposed to having watering directly hit your substrate, knocking it out if close to edge, or pooling a meniscus to overflow before absorption.

in some case top dressing can help regulate water evaporation as well?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Based on their shape/indoor situation, I suspect they are these:

Not harmful but apparently hard to get rid of. It's been so humid here in So Cal the last few weeks, they've popped up in two of my outdoor potted plants. Apparently the potting soil I bought was contaminated with the spores. Not thrilled about that, but what can you do?

(Ah, just the saw the earlier post identifying them. Yup.)

triasbhai

Seed
Reaction score
Based on their shape/indoor situation, I suspect they are these:

Not harmful but apparently hard to get rid of. It's been so humid here in So Cal the last few weeks, they've popped up in two of my outdoor potted plants. Apparently the potting soil I bought was contaminated with the spores. Not thrilled about that, but what can you do?

(Ah, just the saw the earlier post identifying them. Yup.)

Agree with you, his case looks similar like you have posted.

Top Bottom