Mushrooms on the tree trunk

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are these mushrooms harmful for the tree? And if they are, what is the treatment? The tree is acer ginnala

20210620_102715.jpg
20210620_102704.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If they are growing on the wood, they are degrading it and fruiting already. This indicates that they are either consuming live wood and killing it, or that they're growing on dead tissue. You can try systemic antibiotics, fungicides if the former is the case. Otherwise, there's not much you can do. Antibiotics don't enter dead wood.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai. Can this spread to other trees?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If they are growing on the wood, they are degrading it and fruiting already. This indicates that they are either consuming live wood and killing it, or that they're growing on dead tissue. You can try systemic antibiotics, fungicides if the former is the case. Otherwise, there's not much you can do. Antibiotics don't enter dead wood.
Doesn't bark qualify as dead tissue?

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looks like a bark mushroom since I don't see any wounds at those locations. Trunk looks wet are you watering the trunk? For mushrooms to fruit they need the right conditions. Food source, Water, temperature and shade helps. Right time of year in the woods you will see lots of small mushrooms on the bark of trees if you look close enough. Some live on the roots of trees and are beneficial. Shouldn't harm the tree but may want to change the conditions so the mushrooms don't like it. Less wet environment and maybe more sun. Mushrooms spread via the air so it came from another tree and can spread. If you are super concerned try a fungicide like "Wires" suggested. I use some copper or sulfer base fungacides for black rot on grape vines would probably affect bark mushrooms and make the conditions unfavorable for it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt worry about a mushroom. i wouldnt spray because of a mushroom. if you feel it adds nothing to the symbiotic relationship of tree and fungi simply
rub them off.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i personally wouldnt worry about a mushroom. i wouldnt spray because of a mushroom. if you feel it adds nothing to the symbiotic relationship of tree and fungi simply
rub them off.

i don’t know this one for sure (it’s not a lions mane, maybe a pholiota) but my general assumption is that of its on a tree, it’s eating the cambium and will eventually kill the tree over time

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i don’t know this one for sure (it’s not a lions mane, maybe a pholiota) but my general assumption is that of its on a tree, it’s eating the cambium and will eventually kill the tree over time

yowzers, better get the strap!:eek:

50-cent-laughing-gif-2.gif

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
yowzers, better get the strap!:eek:

50-cent-laughing-gif-2.gif

yeah i mean this might not be news to anybody but the visible piece is the fruiting body, the mycelium is really “the mushroom” and well, it’s definitely in that tree somewhere and feeding on something if it’s to the point of fruiting

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Doesn't bark qualify as dead tissue?
It does. Always worth investigating. Exudates/secretions from fungi can contain lots of lignase, cellulase and other wood degrading enzymes.
Some fungi attract bark beetles, which do the heavy work for them.

Is that a problem? I don't think it is. But it could be.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It does. Always worth investigating. Exudates/secretions from fungi can contain lots of lignase, cellulase and other wood degrading enzymes.
Some fungi attract bark beetles, which do the heavy work for them.

Is that a problem? I don't think it is. But it could be.
Very interesting.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are these mushrooms harmful for the tree? And if they are, what is the treatment? The tree is acer ginnala

View attachment 381850
View attachment 381852
I don't know much about mushrooms, other than they are the fruiting bodies of fungi that are growing below the surface. I don't believe I have ever seen these mushrooms before. However, I have several maples in landscape here, and one I am going to have to remove because it has a bad fungal infection. Whole sections of the tree are dead/dying, and each spring another limb buds out green, and then dies, and then sprouts mushrooms.

Good news is that because this is a small tree you can nuke it with systemic fungicide and then spray with a contact fungicide with a bark-penetrating surfactant. I use this:

bark.jpg

If the fungus can't get water that doesn't have fungicide in it, it will eventually die.

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
shiitake is a sap hard wood feeder. Different than a bark feeding mushroom. I grow my shiitakes right next to living oak trees and have yet to see one start on a living tree. I have keep about 50 to 100 logs I replace ever few years that way for 20 years. If the trees had a huge wound I kept wet that might be different but odds are another type would beat them to it.

I suspect Krone is keeping the trunk to wet and there is more dead bark in the crotch of the tree. Or Krone lives in a fairly rain soaked area. If that's the case the water may lead to other problems down the line.

That is defiantly not lions mane which if I remember right is a heart wood / Hard wood stump feeder. Don't eat it.

here’s what a fresh log looks like about three to four years after being inoculated with shiitake spores.

wO0r6sx.jpg
aki

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't know much about mushrooms, other than they are the fruiting bodies of fungi that are growing below the surface. I don't believe I have ever seen these mushrooms before. However, I have several maples in landscape here, and one I am going to have to remove because it has a bad fungal infection. Whole sections of the tree are dead/dying, and each spring another limb buds out green, and then dies, and then sprouts mushrooms.

Good news is that because this is a small tree you can nuke it with systemic fungicide and then spray with a contact fungicide with a bark-penetrating surfactant. I use this:

View attachment 381944

If the fungus can't get water that doesn't have fungicide in it, it will eventually die.
That Pentra-bark looks interesting bonsai nut. How does it due with pine moths?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
shiitake is a sap hard wood feeder. Different than a bark feeding mushroom. I grow my shiitakes right next to living oak trees and have yet to see one start on a living tree. I have keep about 50 to 100 logs I replace ever few years that way for 20 years. If the trees had a huge wound I kept wet that might be different but odds are another type would beat them to it.

I suspect Krone is keeping the trunk to wet and there is more dead bark in the crotch of the tree. Or Krone lives in a fairly rain soaked area. If that's the case the water may lead to other problems down the line.

That is defiantly not lions mane which if I remember right is a heart wood / Hard wood stump feeder. Don't eat it.

aki
I grew shiitaki about 8 years ago. My 40 logs lasted 4 years heavy and a final light year #5. I still have an occasional one pop up. I had too many shrooms because my wife doesn't like them. Gave pounds away. I was planning on doing about a dozen logs this past late winter but I spent so much time taking care of family stuff that I couldn't get to it. Hopefully I will grow some next year. I take powdered Lion's Mane and Cordyceps every day.

Top Bottom