mushy beech seeds

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put a ziplock bag of European beech seeds with some sphagnum moss in the fridge for 3 months, out of the fridge for a month, and back in for another month. Today I took them out and planted them in a tray.

Anyway, they don't smell bad at all (like another batch I had that rotted). However, they pop like giant zits with slight pressure. One was a more watery liquid, one white toothpaste consistency, one brown and obviously rotted.

I planted them all, but is that normal? Id rather not waste space with them if they are no good.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When seeds pop like zits, they're dead.
Have you aerated the ziplock bag?
Anyhow, if a couple make it, it's worth a shot but if they're all mushy I wouldn't count on much survival.

I prefer using perlite or pumice as a soil medium for the fridge. Sphagnum has some antifungal and antibacterial properties but it's still a "medium" for bacteria and fungi to grow in if it's dead sphagnum. Perlite and pumice don't have that problem.

I don't know where in the world you are, but here in Europe we can usually buy 4 year old beech by the 6 or 12 in a tray for about 10 euros. That makes growing from seed a bit time consuming.

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your reply.

I should also have mentioned, the outside of the seed was not mushy but just soft enough to easily crush with my fingers.

I did not aerate the bag. I had seen different opinions on that, so I just left it sealed. Is the best way to just poke small holes in the bag? I was careful to make sure the moisture level was right by seeing that the bag was just slightly foggy inside-- I don't think there was too much moisture. Incidentally, I've been putting all my other seeds in 75% perlite now-- I'll see how that does.

In terms of the technique I used for the beeches though, it worked great for trident maples, JBP, scotch pine, and Korean hornbeam. Those all put out little roots before I planted them. I have some more beech seeds in the fridge that need further stratifying...those ones are in I think a sand/sphagnum mix. I'm trying different things.

I live in the US, and they are not common. I bet a 4 y/o would cost $40 here. I even had a hard time finding seeds! There's a reputable seller that has them now, but I can't spend the money while I have a bunch sitting around

I had this idea in my head to go into spring with a some trays full of jpb, scotch pine, korean hornbeam, tridents, ginkgo, and beech seedlings...I'm good with all except the beeches!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is the best way to just poke small holes in the bag?
No, the best way is to open the bag, push it down so all the air gets out and then, while open, stretch it out again. This replaces 90% of the air inside.
I do this three times a week.

It might be helpful to know that Beeches here in Europe release their seeds in fall or winter. Whereas pines almost everywhere in the world do so in summer. Pines get a dry stratification, then a wet one, then a cold one and then they germinate.
Beeches get a wet one where they might germinate already, then freezing cold, and then it's spring.
If they've been exposed to cold, I think they'd be ready to germinate.
I'm reading that they lose their capacity to germinate quite rapidly.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have found that stratifying outside during winter is the best unless you start or grow young seedlings indoors during the cold season. Otherwise you have to manage them like @Wires_Guy_wires stated. I use grow bags outside and have great results. Nothing against using the fridge. I did in the past but it became cumbersome and much more work. It is a great time to put most seeds outside that need cold stratification. You should consider protecting them with wire or something from birds. Squirrels may like beech nuts. They raided my oak nuts already lol. I didn’t protect them.

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brightside. If I do more next year I will time them more naturally-- I've been growing seeds randomly inside since summer just for something to do. It has been interesting, but hopefully when spring comes I can get them on a natural cycle outside. I'm not sure how big of a problem it is, we will see. Incidentally, I came here to post another question about my ginkgo seedlings. This forum has been a wonderful resource for someone without a real teacher, so thank you to everyone sharing.

Top Bottom