Musings of a thrifty hobbyist: What do see here?

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
20220524_123628.jpgYou proabaly see my recycling but I see a free training pot with drip tray. Time to get the drill...

Next time you order take-out are you gonna see Pad Thai with a free side of gardening equipment?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
The problem with using typical takeaway containers is that they tend to be too flexible - moving around can damage fine roots. Try to use rigid containers if you can.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
View attachment 438441You proabaly see my recycling but I see a free training pot with drip tray. Time to get the drill...

Next time you order take-out are you gonna see Pad Thai with a free side of gardening equipment?
rigid containers like washing basins are good for collected trees, same with recycled flats from nurseries, and repurposing wood from pallets.. all which are good ways of recycling materials

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The problem with using typical takeaway containers is that they tend to be too flexible - moving around can damage fine roots. Try to use rigid containers if you can.
Fair point, had not considered this.
I have enough containers but I'll take the Pad Thai. ;)
I sort of thought this was the angle; more take out + more trees = winning

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fair point, had not considered this.

I sort of thought this was the angle; more take out + more trees = winning
I find they still work fine for seedling trays since you don't have the weight of a larger tree in them.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The other problem is those containers won't hold up well to sun and weather exposure. They might be fine for a year or two then they will get brittle

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The other problem is those containers won't hold up well to sun and weather exposure. They might be fine for a year or two then they will get brittle
A year is all most people expect from them but I have some on their 3rd year. They hold up even better under lights.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Containers like those work great for stratifying seeds in the fridge.
True......
This year I stratified several types of seeds in these containers in a seed starting mix and it worked great, cutting out another step.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A year is all most people expect from them but I have some on their 3rd year. They hold up even better under lights.

If it's one year and done just to get some seeds started, I guess they are fine.

To each his own. If they work for your application, great.

I prefer to use 4 inch pots that are a bit sturdier that I use for cuttings. I think I pay about 40 cents each for them. No need to drill holes, just cut mesh to fit the bottom and they are good to go. I grow the cuttings in those for 3 or 4 years depending on how fast they grow and need potting up.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
View attachment 438441You proabaly see my recycling but I see a free training pot with drip tray. Time to get the drill...

That doesn’t work as pot. Pot will not be strong enough. What does work is cheap salad bowls and flower pots at Good Will or Salvation Army stores drilled out with a diamond bit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use pots for pots and seed trays as seed trays. I think we are talking apples and oranges and have about talked it to death. Point is, its all useful.

Top Bottom