Musk Maple Dropping Leaves

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys- So I acquired this/ these musk maples at an estate sale auction earlier on this year. It’s been doing fine and looking healthy, but a decent amount leaves haves started to turn yellow/ pale and fall off over the past week or so. I know we are getting to the end of the growing season in Central Virginia Zone 7B, I’m just wondering if this is normal for them to lose their leaves earlier than everything else? Or is the pale leaves a sign of needing some fert? I last fertilized probably 3 weeks ago. 1st pic is from a few days ago, 2nd pic is from earlier this year. Any advice is appreciated! This is my first post on Bonsai Nut, but I have been creeping for a while. Thanks!

Attachments

• AE9C6D46-8105-453B-B978-5651D2C6A2B4.jpeg
    AE9C6D46-8105-453B-B978-5651D2C6A2B4.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 2465F2F1-DCB0-42B3-B7E2-998B14D3A000.jpeg
    2465F2F1-DCB0-42B3-B7E2-998B14D3A000.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 78

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're kinda like the latest Conspiracy Theories....
Quite Interior!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
They're kinda like the latest Conspiracy Theories....
Quite Interior!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Lol Quite interior?! Not quite sure what that means…. But thanks!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What's up from RVA!

I heard about that estate sale earlier this year; unfortunately too late...

Nice tree though!

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
What's up from RVA!

I heard about that estate sale earlier this year; unfortunately too late...

Nice tree though!
RVA Reppin! lol. I’m actually in Powhatan , but close enough right? Ya man, that guy had some great stuff. I felt bad watching him watch all of his life’s work being sold off- but he couldn’t take care of everything due to his age I presume. That was the first bonsai auction I’d been a part of and it was cool, starts gettin personal with the out bidding thing lol. But ya I’m watching these leaves fall off, early in my opinion,and just trying to get some other opinions on the musk maple..

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
but close enough right?
Close enough, I live on the Southside actually.

I have no experience with that species at all, but the heat we've been having recently may be contributing. I've definitely seen some interior shedding on some of my trees lately.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have no experience with that species at all, but the heat we've been having recently may be contributing. I've definitely seen some interior shedding on some of my trees lately.
I've got limited experience with this species, just trying to grow a few out right now. That said, mine are all a deep green right now and I suspect our heat's been similar.

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
Here’s an update on my musk maple. First picture is June 2021. Middle picture is March of 2023. Last Picture is August 2023. I still need to get a picture while it still has some pretty yellow leaves left on it this season. I’ve found that this tree is a pretty vigorous grower and has no problem taking our heat and humidity in central Virginia USA, she also loves water and fertilizer. It does tend to grow strong all spring and summer and then abruptly stop and start dropping its leaves in late August or Early September, almost as if she’s burned hot too long and suddenly burns out. It kind of sucks that (I believe) there are 3 different trees in this clump style planting. The top/ main canopy tree changes color first and then the bottom two trees will drop/ change color after the top does. All in all I really like working on musk maples due to the vigor this species provides. The branches can be super brittle but tend to have more flexibility in fall or spring. I’m looking forward to developing this one with more defined pads/ more negative space in the canopy and a more traditional Japanese-esque style bonsai.
Oh, Also this tree will root with just about any cutting you take and stick into whatever medium you use- rocks, soil, mud, perlite, grass, gasoline, an old burrito, whatever else you can think of. I overwinter this tree outside, even thought it almost has a “tropical feel” to it. Figured I’d share some insight and progress pics.
IMG_6018.jpeg
IMG_4778.jpegIMG_6814.jpeg

Top Bottom